Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Windows Media Player 9

Hello everyone, I have PTLE for Windows. I just upgraded from 5.3.2 to 6.1. Everything works great, but I am having a problems downloading audio from Windows Media Player 9. Also after I did the upgrade all of the audio files play distorted and sometimes Windows Media Player even crashes and suddenly closes. What do I do? Please help.....I thought that it may have something to do with the ASIO driver or how it is set up.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Windows Media Player 9

dj,
A couple of things I've found out... the 6.1 WaveDriver won't play 24-bit WAVs...just 16-bit, which is OK. And on 'players'...a few people have said the same thing about WindowsMedPlayer stuttering, etc. while playing Audio. But, an alternative is to use the Quicktime Player if you have QT loaded. It seems to work just great for playing WAVs, MP3's etc. Or, you can also download WinAmp3 for free, and it plays them very well too.
To have Quicktime play your Audio, you have to set it's file types. Go to Edit/Pref/QuickTime preferences/File Types... and I believe you check 'Windows type files'. And remember, in QuickTime, you have to push 'Play' or it will just sit and stare back at you...
Good luck...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:30 AM

Hello

I think Windows media player 9 is like a freakin virus. I've downloaded it twice now and it still won't work properly. I have a basic Dell system.Get rid of Windows Media 9 and use the old version or something else.

DJ

Old 08-22-2003, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Hello

I think Windows media player 9 is like a freakin virus. I've downloaded it twice now and it still won't work properly. I have a basic Dell system.Get rid of Windows Media 9 and use the old version or something else.

DJ

And then once you get that fixed, make a Drive Image/Ghost of your system drive, so when the (inevitable) new application or 'upgrade' comes along and messes everything up, you can be back to NOW in just a few short minutes.

Since I'm on the soap box, if y'all havent got a good set of computer maintenance software, Newegg.com is selling Symantec's Systemworks Pro for about $23 and it has to be the deal of the decade for price vs. useful applications.

Why, you may well arsk? !
Just the AntiVirus and Disk defragmenter (they call Speed Disk) and Benchmark tests are worth the price, but you get Ghost as well- and there's more! The Norton Antivirus is $35 by itself. This is usually a $99 item.

Caio for naio.

Why doesn't the image-insert thingie work here? anybody know? You'd think a software supplier could...oh nevermind. What was I thinking?

Old 08-22-2003, 04:28 AM

6969 How do I go back to the old one. I think I lost my Install disk along time ago. I would not mind going back if it is a fix ...thanks 6969.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:35 AM

Thanks Roy H. I'll do that...I think Quick Time stares at me alot I have to remember to push play. I would have used it, but I had no idea how to get my audio to play. By the way, what program should I use to burn things to CD. Last night I was in a session, I burned my songs using Windows Media Player, I couldn't hear them well, but the CD came out just fine. Anything else I can use?
Old 08-22-2003, 07:41 AM

Well, media player 9 works fine for me. But I use a little different strategy. You might want to try this. Don't install the Wavedriver. Instead use your system's soundcard to play all of your other applications. If you have a mixer (I've got that little Behringer MX1604A)plug the output of your soundcard into a stereo channel on the mixer. That way you get the best of both worlds. Not to mention the ability to record stuff into PT from streaming audio from the net, etc. Just a little food for thought.
Graphics: Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB
Running: PT HD 12.7.0
Interface: Apollo Quad 8P
Old 08-22-2003, 01:17 PM

Hey Dos

You can't get rid of Windows Media 9 without reinstalling Windows XP. If you don't have your install disk you may be out of luck. Stone Knife is the man and knows all.Listen to him. I don't have the Ghost program but I have Drive Image and I have used it twice now because of the Windows Media Player 9 debacle.I don't know the price of Windows XP Pro or Home but I think they are affordable now.Good luck.

DJ
Old 08-28-2003, 01:05 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to upload mpeg4 video to ProTool LE 5.3.3. I have tried to import a video that was made in quick time 6.3, which utilizes mpeg4, but it tells me that it is not a valid quick time file. Is there anyway to update what I can import? Or is there some way I can convert my mpeg4 file to an ealier version, say, mpeg1 or 2.