Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2002, 09:45 AM

Default with the new Apple acquisition, will Digi be moving away from Mac support?

...and toward more PC support. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I am thinking of going from my current PC to Mac once PT 6 is out (for the utilization of the dual processor platform)--but now that I've heard this, I'm having second thoughts. Especially if down the road PC will be better supported than Mac.

I had to post this in both forums to get both sides
Old 12-12-2002, 10:26 AM

Default Re: with the new Apple acquisition, will Digi be moving away from Mac support?

Apple acquisition wha???

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 12-12-2002, 10:31 AM

Default delete

delete
Old 12-12-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Re: with the new Apple acquisition, will Digi be moving away from Mac support?

Does anyone have any Idea yet if the PC's are going to be able to do dual processors? PC may prove to be the best option yet if pc's can do the dual processors also. Can you imagine dual AMD 2800+. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 10:45 AM

We are investigating dual processor support for the XP release of version PT6.

As far as the users original question goes. Digi had already started a serious move to bring ProTools up to snuff on the Windows platform some two years ago. We have had considerable success in doing so, and will only dedicate more resources to the platform in the future. However, none of that development is at the expense of the Mac platform. Our work is not a migration from one platform to the other, but an expansion to support both equally. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 12-12-2002, 10:56 AM

Thank you, that provides some clarity.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Dave,

i have yet to see a reliable answer for this, and i still think that the answer is no, but can pt le for pc support hyper threading??? I ask, because HT supposedly acts as though 2 phsyical processors are installed.

Christian
Old 12-12-2002, 02:15 PM

This is one of the issues that we have to investigate. Not so much whether PT runs on a machine with an HT processor, but how do we take advantage of the technology to better PT's performance.
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 12-12-2002, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Sumich:
This is one of the issues that we have to investigate. Not so much whether PT runs on a machine with an HT processor, but how do we take advantage of the technology to better PT's performance.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">how about one processor dedicated for the os and PT program itself, the other for plugins?
Old 12-12-2002, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jopry:
how about one processor dedicated for the os and PT program itself, the other for plugins?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ah, if only it were that simple...