Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 04:28 PM

Default Need The pro\'s Advice on buying gear vs. School

Okay I'm thinking about going to UCLA Extensions in LA and paying as I go by working. SOOOO, instead of taking out a college loan, I was thinking about trying to get a loan for a bunch of new gear to use/learn take complete control over building my studio piece by piece you know? Like....try taking out a loan for 5k-10k if possible. I dunno... is this even possible? I just need some input, thanks guys!
Old 12-19-2002, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Need The pro\'s Advice on buying gear vs. School

What is your end goal?

What is it that you really want to do?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-19-2002, 05:26 PM

Here is a link to an article I wrote that is somewhat related and you may find useful.

http://www.music-tech.com/proproducer.html

As the other person said, though, you really need to define your end goal first.

Are you trying to make this your career? If so, the article I wrote might be helpful to you.

Or maybe you are an artist just trying to master the recording process so you can produce your own CDs? If so, that's a different story, and your time and money might be better spent letting the pros record and mix your music than you trying to do everything yourself.

Steve
Old 12-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Basicly I want to do both but I dont really want to be an engineer working for someone else all my life in someone elses studio. I'm still solo in the beginning of this creation i'm working on and i'd like to write and also record for bands and do some producing. I have a good bud at LARW right now and he's getting alot out of it.... so I can learn alot from him prolly. I'd love to get a hook up out in LA at a nice studio so i can workin on things in my own studio and then go track somewhere else and bring it back.... eventually final mix will be done on a big system and mastered and yada yada. I'd really just like to take classes on things that really interest me and make me a better individual for what i like doing.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:34 PM

Hi.
I'd recommend hooking up with some local studios, big or small, and offer your services as a helper (for free). If you haven't got much experience in recording, then your chances of earning enough to see you through college are very slim. By hanging around in studios, you'll learn a lot, and it will help you to discover what you can do. I originally wanted to be the world's greatest rock keyboard god, but I wasn't, and realized that I enjoyed recording as much as playing. You'll do long hours, and not get paid much or anything at all, but you'll get a great real-world look at what happens in studios. Don't just limit yourself to music studios either. T.V, radio and audio design for video games are all involved with music and sound, and if you try lots of things, you increase the chances of finding a path.
Having said that, If you're going to have a computer for working on, essays, e-mail, internet etc, you can get software relatively cheap these days. I have a friend who has a MAC who only ever uses software synths, so all he needs are two speakers, a digi 001 and a supply of blank CDs. Having the ability to learn at home in your own time on your own system is a great help, and great fun too. It beats waiting for down time at the studio. Although stuff is more expensive here in the UK, it's still possible. Programs like Cubase can be very inexpensive second hand, and will give you MIDI and audio recording.
Go and visit some studios in your area, and chat to guys doing live gigs. Sooner or later you'll get on the ladder.

Best of luck,

Dave
Old 12-20-2002, 04:46 PM

As far as gear goes... for being 22 I've came along way from what I had a year ago. If i get a loan... I'd like to get Logic5/ Logic Controll... Some nice Pre's, Mic's, Converter...LOTS more synth...lol. I'm also into electronic engineering.. circuit bending, building guitar effects and etc.... I just really want to implement alot of things into my style and what I could do for someone if need be, and have that Ability to do some nice Pro Mixed projects and bands. I'd love to find a 2" machine for tracking guitars/drums/vocals to first before editing in PT....some day, just gotta get past the other things I need in my studio now, heh.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:15 PM

As far as gear goes... for being 22 I've came along way from what I had a year ago. If i get a loan... I'd like to get Logic5/ Logic Controll... Some nice Pre's, Mic's, Converter...LOTS more synth...lol. I'm also into electronic engineering.. circuit bending, building guitar effects and etc.... I just really want to implement alot of things into my style and what I could do for someone if need be, and have that Ability to do some nice Pro Mixed projects and bands. I'd love to find a 2" machine for tracking guitars/drums/vocals to first before editing in PT....some day, just gotta get past the other things I need in my studio now, heh.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:24 PM

Go to a good school. Don't just go into a studio to intern not knowing anything.

When I was in School, I did a small amount of interning, and we had one intern who wasn't in school, and he pissed everyone else off cause he didn't know what he was doing. I am not saying you will be the same way, but if you go to school, you will get better internship possibilities. If you don't that much about audio, most good places will be reluctant to take you.

If you find a good school to go to, that can be more beneficial to you than just starting out working for free. I wouldn't be where I am at now if I didn't go to school.

Besides, many larger studios REALLY take advantage of their interns. I know tons of guys who never got to do much in the studio. They served more as janitors and gophers than anything else.

On the other hand, if all you really want to do is be able to run pro tools, get a digi 001, and fiddle with it for a long time. Read all the trade magazines. Get some good recording books. If you're a smart cookie, you can learn a lot on your own. Going to a good school costs a lot of money, and takes a lot of time.

Basically, you have to decide if you want to spend the time and money on school, which can lead to better connections down the road, or if you want to try and manage on your own. Keep in mind, neither route is a garuntee of a job.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:13 PM

If I were 22 I would not waste a dime of my money ( loan or not) on any gear. It will all be obsolete so fast and your loan payments go on forever. Anyone in business will tell you it is the person/personality that will make you sucessful not the gear. ( I know you have your own projects to do as well) My advice is to get with a great studio and be there, anyway you can, learn what you can. Unless you have deep pockets you will not be able to keep up with the need for better gear when you need it. If you get with a great studio you will have access to what ever you want/who ever you want.
Try and look at this from a different perspective. Hone your skills anyway you can, borrow and trade your skills for studio time or gear to use. Stay away from the burden of gear it will only slow you down in your persuits. I know this may seem contrary to what you want to achive. Follow this path, without the burden of material objects. You can be anything you want to be, and go anywhere you want to go. The best part of this, is that you can work with anyone you want to work with. Why you ask? Because what everyone will want is you, not your gear. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Take this high road and you will be who you see yourself being much sooner, I wish you the best [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-20-2002, 06:33 PM

Education is never a bad thing, and blue demon is dead right about going to college if you can. But it's wise to play your cards close to your chest.
I was at SAE in London years ago, and a friend of mine who landed a job at Matrix studios, surprised me by saying that when successfully interviewed for the runner's/ assistant's job, they took him DESPITE being a SAE graduate. Their logic being that guys straight out of college more often than not were pains in the arse, over-confident, and they didn't want to spend time learning things that were "beneath them" like learning to deal respectfully with clients , and coiling cables properly.
I DON"T suggest for a second that you're like that , or that it's inevitable that everyone will judge interns the same way, but I sure was surprised at my mate's experience. There is also a huge difference between courses at colleges in the UK, and the way they are perceived by the industry - it'll be the same in the US.
Practical ability in audio is always valued very highly, and experience is very often a tie breaker. Going to college, AND working in commercial studios, (which have a very different vibe to campus studios) will give you a lot of contacts and friends, and some harsh reality about the job. From the sound of it, you're very enthusiastic and that is the thing that may just get you what you want.

And you'll come across as many different opinions as you do people!

Peace and good luck.

Dave.