Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-06-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Re: June update - hybrid info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Thank you for that video.
Could you explain a little more about how "DSP Mode Safe" works? If there is more to it than in the video.

Thanks
Yes DSP Mode Safe basically works just like Solo Safe works in PT, it prevents that track from accidentally being put into DSP mode (which would in turn auto bypass any native only plugins on that track.)
For example you have a favorite native only reverb plugin set up on its own Aux track, and you will be sending to it, from multiple other tracks as you record them ....As I note in the video whenever you put a track into DSP, any associated downstream tracks will auto switch to DSP BUT if that track is in DSP Mode safe that track will not go into DSP and the reverb will stay working

Or same thing for when you have your preferences set to automatically put tracks into DSP when the "Input Monitor" or "Record" button is engaged, any downstream track in DSP Mode Safe will still have it's Native plugins work

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-06-2021, 03:44 PM

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
So I don't know about current HDX as I went from LE to HD Native to Carbon Hybrid

But as far as Carbon Hybrid operation

Not sure I understand the question But what happens is the track goes into DSP mode and is running on the HDX chips, regardless of being record or input monitoring armed or not .

Assuming that's how it works on current HDX ??
Then no that is not what happens with Carbon DSP Hybrid
With Carbons current Hybrid implementation,,, It is a one or the other not both, on any single track

In Carbon while you can have a mix of tracks in the same session some in DSP mode and some in Native mode,,,,,,,,, BUT on any single track if in DSP mode, any Native mode only plugins ( not AAX-DSP capable) will be bypassed, regardless of order, does not matter if you put a DSP trim plugin first.

So to recap
#1 On a track that is put into in DSP mode any Native plugins (already on the track before being put into DSP mode) will be bypassed.... And when a track is already in DSP mode you can't put a Native only plugin on it , the only plugin selections you have are DSP capable plugins

#2 On a track put into in Native mode all plugins will be switched to Native mode

Interesting, and surprising quite counter-intuitive. If channels can be put into DSP Mode without input monitoring or record arm activated, I would have thought as many native plugins could be used before DSP plugins as you like, as the audio would be streaming from the hard disk and could be delay compensated for upon playback. Perhaps its a limitation of AVB with Carbon. Using DSP and Native plugins together is possible with HDX in its current form, it just costs additional voices. It might also be possible with the new hybrid engine, who knows.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
What happens when you engage DSP Mode on a track on a Carbon system that doesn't have input monitoring or record armed?

For what it's worth, I think the same DSP plugin before native plugin trick still applies with the Hybrid engine. If you toss a DSP trim plugin before your native plugins, the native plugins won't be bypassed when the channel is record/input armed.
If you put a track into DSP, the inserts have a green dot and you cannot put a non-DSP plugin on the track. Not even an option. Input or record armed doesn't matter. Switch the DSP mode off, and you can put native plugs again. No mixing. (and DSP plugins switch to their native counter-part)

What you are wishing for ("thinking") isn't how it works. HDX does that. Hybrid mode doesn't. HDX will still exist for a reason even when Hybrid is available.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If you put a track into DSP, the inserts have a green dot and you cannot put a non-DSP plugin on the track. Not even an option. Input or record armed doesn't matter. Switch the DSP mode off, and you can put native plugs again. No mixing. (and DSP plugins switch to their native counter-part)

What you are wishing for ("thinking") isn't how it works. HDX does that. Hybrid mode doesn't. HDX will still exist for a reason even when Hybrid is available.

Wishing probably isn't the right word. Wrong... perhaps...

But even then, the main issue I personally have with HDX isn't the lack of DSP during tracking, it's the inability to harness native power during mixing. My HDX1 card has been sitting on the shelf since 2019 as a result, in favour of a HD native card.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:31 PM

I might be misunderstanding... you can use Native plugins with HDX just fine during mixing. What's the hold up?
Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 PM

I'll be happy with any update, as long as it fixes Tab To Transients! Tried editing a bass line tonight... might as well got out my razor and scotch tape like the good old days. :)
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 06-07-2021, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I might be misunderstanding... you can use Native plugins with HDX just fine during mixing. What's the hold up?

Voice usage is just fundamentally different in HDX compared to native. As an exacerbated example, thirty 7.1.2 aux channels with a single native plugin on each use 0 of the available 384 voices in HD native, while it will use all of the available 256 voices in a HDX1 system due to the DSP-based mix engine.

You can get around it to a degree by using only DSP plugins on aux channels... but you only have a limited amount of DSP too. I think it is the single most limiting factor of HDX, and presumably why the hybrid engine and DSP safe mode for aux channels was introduced.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Again the insert slot position is irrelevant in terms of mode selection or operation (DSP or Native) . And yes an instrument track can be switched into DSP mode BUT any Native VI plugin will be auto bypassed.

Here a quick off the cuff very brief summery Video I did for some guys in another forum ( don't remember If I have linked it here or not) who were asking about Carbon and DSP

https://youtu.be/YFhujEU8X30
Thanks!

EDIT: Just watched the video again and reflecting on how Auxes receiving from busses on DSP enabled tracks are also automatically switched to DSP mode. For me this is really going to highlight the lack of good AAX DSP reverbs!
Old 06-07-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks!

EDIT: Just watched the video again and reflecting on how Auxes receiving from busses on DSP enabled tracks are also automatically switched to DSP mode. For me this is really going to highlight the lack of good AAX DSP reverbs!
Avid has kind of given a reason (or excuse ) being that If you simply use a Native reverb/delay the slight added latency will not be all that noticeable given those plugs feature having a delayed reverberation as part of the sound anyway ???

My self I happen to use an outboard hardware reverb as an insert so it's Aux track stays in DSP

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...