Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Default Omni Fans?

OK, here's a quick poll for any Omni owners. When I first got my Omni about a month ago, the thing was nearly silent. I never heard the fans.

Now the fan is coming on a LOT, and much worse, it's constantly ramping up and down in a fashion that is literally making me sea-sick. That slow rolling ramping up and down sound.

A large part of why I got the Omni was when I saw the demo unit, it was dead silent. And for the first month, it really was, and the ambient temperature in my room was even hotter than it is now! So I don't understand.

But now it's WAY louder than my 96I/O was, and the character of the fan noise is much much more annoying, it's high pitched and constantly ramping.

Reason I'm asking, my one other colleague who bought one, his has been super noisy right out of the box. Mine took about a month to start doing it, but is now doing the same thing. Really I don't think I can stand it.

I want my 96 I/O back...

So my question, since the only two Omni's I have personal knowledge of are doing it, how are other people finding theirs? Is your fan coming on? Is it constantly ramping up and down?

Mine isn't ramping nearly to full level, like if I turn it form Auto to On, then it goes nuts. But on Auto, it's driving me crazy!

Curious if anyone else is seeing this.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Omni Fans?

I have never heard the fan in mine...

T
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Well Tom, glad to hear it, and I hope you never do. It's not a very nice sound...

The 96 I/O was always present, but sounded WAY less annoying than my Omni now sounds...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Well Tom, glad to hear it, and I hope you never do. It's not a very nice sound...

The 96 I/O was always present, but sounded WAY less annoying than my Omni now sounds...
That sucks Tim, but obviously still under warranty right? Unless you think your room has gotten warmer and it's actually functioning correctly..?

Tom
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Well honestly my room hasn't gotten warmer, when I first got my Omni I had some days that were like 85 degrees in the room. Today the ambience temperature in here was more like 75 I suppose.

And my friends is doing this out of the box. I'll contact someone, was only curious if anyone else was having these issues.

Really the sound itself is one thing, it's literally the constantly adjusting up and down, the ramping, that is like some kinda torture!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 PM

That it didn't do that initially is bizarre. That it's also happening with your friend's is concerning.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM

That it's doing it for my friend seems like his is clearly defective to me. It's disconcerting to me that mine is now doing it. But in my case it does still seem somewhat related to temperature. It's just that it's clearly now firing the fans at temperatures that before it totally different.

I'll have to look into, something is clearly up. It's a real shame to my ear it sounds like they used really crappy fans inside it too, they're really annoying and high-pitched. Probably it's just that they're a lot smaller than the fans in the 96 I/O were. The weird thing, the box doesn't feel hot at all to the touch, it's barely even warm.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 AM

I went to my local music store and had a look on the Omni. When I first entered the control room where it was placed in a rack I noticed a high noise fan.
When I went closer it was clearly the omni making all that noise. The control room is not particular hot. Maby 22 degrees celcius.

I turned off all the other control room equipement just to se if there was other stuff making noise aswell, but no. It was all the Omni fan.
At last I turned off the omni and finally the noise dissapared.

I turned it on again and tried to switch the fan between auto and on, but still there was the same amount of fan noise.

As I understand this unit is ment to stand within reach of the control room engineer. Why else would they put all the controls on it.
But with that amount of fan noise I would find it impossible to do critical listening.

Is this normal operation fan noise ?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I went to my local music store and had a look on the Omni. When I first entered the control room where it was placed in a rack I noticed a high noise fan.
When I went closer it was clearly the omni making all that noise. The control room is not particular hot. Maby 22 degrees celcius.

I turned off all the other control room equipement just to se if there was other stuff making noise aswell, but no. It was all the Omni fan.
At last I turned off the omni and finally the noise dissapared.

I turned it on again and tried to switch the fan between auto and on, but still there was the same amount of fan noise.

As I understand this unit is ment to stand within reach of the control room engineer. Why else would they put all the controls on it.
But with that amount of fan noise I would find it impossible to do critical listening.

Is this normal operation fan noise ?

I am totally with you, as my room has been pretty heavily acoustically treated too so the fan is very noticeable
It did cross my mind to put it else where, like in a computer cabinet, etc., but that would defeat the purpose of using the mixer for 5.1 to ALT for fold down, volume and the other goodies on it.

Hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade to address this or something, like placing a Targus notebook cooler on it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AWE45US1.html
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I am totally with you, as my room has been pretty heavily acoustically treated too so the fan is very noticeable
It did cross my mind to put it else where, like in a computer cabinet, etc., but that would defeat the purpose of using the mixer for 5.1 to ALT for fold down, volume and the other goodies on it.

Hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade to address this or something, like placing a Targus notebook cooler on it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AWE45US1.html

I'm defenetly waiting untill this is addressed.
So how do you like the AD/DA quality of your Omni, ok ?