Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Default Structure vs. Kontakt 3

The purpose of this thread is not to bash either Structure or Kontakt 3. I was just wondering if those of you who have both pieces of software would care to chime in and let me know your opinion about them. Which one do you like better? Why?

I currently own Structure, but I'm considering buying Kontakt 3. Do you think Kontakt 3 is better than Structure, or are they about the same?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Structure vs. Kontakt 3

Kontakt 3 - simply for the sheer number of available libraries available, the scripting feature, the support forum and, *gasp*, updates to fix bugs.
With Structure you're limited to the massively overpriced 2 libraries available, as importing -
a. doesn't work properly
b. doesn't import Kontakt 3 libraries, akai or giga format.

Structure simply isn't supported in any meaningful way by Digidesign
Read this thread - http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=225431&page=4
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Remute, in your opinion, are the samples that come with Kontakt 3 good?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
Remute, in your opinion, are the samples that come with Kontakt 3 good?
Hell yes, the VSL orchestral samples are worth it alone, IMO. The "World" sounds are simply brilliant, there's an extensive Synth collection and for the over-inflated price of Goliath or EW Gold Structure editions you could pick up lots and lots of good stuff - check out the "Complete Classical Collection" for orchestral/choir sounds, or instance - $328.00 vs $695.00.
And the amount of free, quality stuff out there is amazing - ie http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/freestuff.htm

I've come to the conclusion that anything from AIR that relies on continued support/expansion ie Structure/Strike/Transfuser, isn't worth getting as they simply lock you in but refuse to provide you with bug fixes and, more importantly, content - fine if it's cheap, but it's not, it's very overpriced.
FXPansion gave away 3GB of free content for GURU users, there are multiple libraries to buy for BFD. Strike users get *2* free drum kits. Woot.
The Structure import bugs have been known about for years. Lord knows if Transfuser will ever get any extra content -and if it does, you can bet it'll be costly and in a proprietry format. (and as for programming complex patterns on a screen where you can't even see half of your notes, what other sequencer does that?)
Hybrid and Velvet, yes. Anything else, keep away.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM

Kontakt 3 is better in that it's more feature packed. It's the most complete sampler out there that I've ever seen. Some users have had some major problems with it however. I don't, but I have encountered "small inconveniences".
Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 AM

i have structure le.if i had to judge on le solely K3 is the clear winner (although i heard strudture le is a very crippled version of structure)
stiff, i reported all of my problems with K3 when it first came out but,it seems to be running pretty decent now after the usual string of ni updates,i'm running on pc.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
Hell yes, the VSL orchestral samples are worth it alone, IMO. The "World" sounds are simply brilliant, there's an extensive Synth collection and for the over-inflated price of Goliath or EW Gold Structure editions you could pick up lots and lots of good stuff - check out the "Complete Classical Collection" for orchestral/choir sounds, or instance - $328.00 vs $695.00.
And the amount of free, quality stuff out there is amazing - ie http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/freestuff.htm

I've come to the conclusion that anything from AIR that relies on continued support/expansion ie Structure/Strike/Transfuser, isn't worth getting as they simply lock you in but refuse to provide you with bug fixes and, more importantly, content - fine if it's cheap, but it's not, it's very overpriced.
FXPansion gave away 3GB of free content for GURU users, there are multiple libraries to buy for BFD. Strike users get *2* free drum kits. Woot.
The Structure import bugs have been known about for years. Lord knows if Transfuser will ever get any extra content -and if it does, you can bet it'll be costly and in a proprietry format. (and as for programming complex patterns on a screen where you can't even see half of your notes, what other sequencer does that?)
Hybrid and Velvet, yes. Anything else, keep away.

I think this topic is beginning to be slightly misleading, - Native have NEVER and I repeat NEVER been good to update their stuff or make them stable, - to my knowledge they are still not fully Leopard compatible.. (Multi-processor-support anyone...???)The plugs have been known to make larger sessions totally unstable, and who with a few years "under the hood" don’t remember the problems loading sessions containing more than one instance of Kontakt, Kontakt Player, Kompakt ect. just a few years back..

I think I can speak for most professional users and say that NI is a company you try to avoid at all costs..
You are welcome to do a search, - you’ll find lots of examples..

I’m totally into bug fixes and things need to be fixed in both Structure and Transfuser, - they are not perfect, but to put Kontakt on the "pedestal" that you guys do is to me totally wrong.
I have yet to meet someone who uses the overly complicated interface and features of Kontakt, - scripting features my b..!. One major thing that speaks to Kontakts advantage is the supported sample-formats - that’s it.
Everything else is not better in any way than Structure, - on the contrary..

You have to find out if it’s a sampler or a sound-module you are looking for, - because there is a big difference.

As a pure sampler in the traditional sense Structure and its integration into PT is unmatched. If you are looking for a sound module then look at EW-play, - they are porting all libraries to Play (their own engine) from Kontakt-format - wonder why...??
Play actually runs great in PT, and has the features you need from a sound-module and is included when you buy the libaries.

To the question about the differences betwine Structure LE and full Structure there are a number of key features missing in the le-version - sample-editor is one of the major..

Cheers

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Also worth noting: Only Some of the Native Instruments plug-ins are working correctly on 10.5 inside of Pro Tools.

So if you're on 7.4.2, then count Kontact out.
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=leopard_us

+1 on Native Instruments plug-ins being historically buggy and trying to avoid them. This is NOT one advantage Kontact has over Structure. If you're making a decision between those 2 plug-ins I'd re-read PAM's post and then search for more threads on Native Instruments to make you're own conclusion
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM

+1 for structure.

I use structure all day every day professionally and I love it.

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A M View Post
I think this topic is beginning to be slightly misleading, - Cheers
The question was specifically regarding Kontakt 3 vs Structure, hence the nature of my reply. In comparison to Structure, yes, it's far, far superior, *in my experience*. That's not to say it or NI is perfect by any stretch.
Ditto FXPansion/GURU vs Transfuser, it has many bugs etc but it's far better supported and the FXPansion at the very least acknowledge and eventually fix the bugs.
As to Play, that's fine if you're happy working at a professional level without access to any 3rd party libraries.