Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-26-2000, 12:11 AM

Default ADAT BRIDGE/DIGI PERFORMER TO PT

hey just looking for a little advice.
i have a client coming in on monday to transfer from motu 2408 to pt.
i have an adat bridge coming. the client wants to do 16 tracks via lightpipe(adat brige)
any thing weird i should know....
oms config?? pt config???
i am hoping he knows his end of things. the client is bringing his whole rig (comp/2408/adat bridge)
any thoughts would be most appreciated.

9600/g3 300 mix plus/1 vin card pt 5.0
os 8.6

cmz
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 04-26-2000, 10:11 AM

Default Re: ADAT BRIDGE/DIGI PERFORMER TO PT

I guess my question would be what is he transfering?

If they are hard disk tracks recorded with some other DAW why not import them directly into ProTools? He can bounce them or re-record them as contiguous tracks all starting at the same point or with a 2-beep. Then import them into your ProTools session and line them up.

Or are you saying that he wants to record tracks live via the 2408/adat bridge and into ProTools? If that is the case he should record them into AudioDesk (MOTU's free software that comes with 2408), or other 2408 compatable software. Then import them into ProTools and line them up. I think you will have fewer problems this way.

Chris Knight
nyc

Old 04-26-2000, 11:39 AM

hey chris,
thanks for the info. i did suggest just importing them but i believe he has between 30-40 tracks per tune with losta edits. i don't think he has the disk space needed for all of the bounces. there's something like 12 tunez. he is bringing his computer/2408/adat bridge/digi performer. i am hopeing to just lock to mtc. i wanted to make the psx-100 my main clock but i'm still not quite sure what to do yet.thanks for the help.

cmz
Old 04-26-2000, 03:01 PM

Well, I guess if you have to do it that way you can. But one way or another he is going to need the disk space--whether he bounces the files or re-records them into your system. Maybe he could use your drives( or borrow or rent drives) to bounce the files and then import them into PT. Maybe he could just do a few songs at a time.

He has his DP files backed up right? Personally, I would even install DP on your computer, load the DP files and bounce them on your system and then import them. This would save him from bringing his rig into your studio.

Keep in mind, if you transfer via lightpipe, you're not going to be able to acheive sample accurate transfers (which may not matter that much.) And the ADAT bridge is only 20-bit. (also, may not matter, if he recorded his tracks at 16-bit.)

Having the PSX-100 as master clock is a good start. Connect the word-clock out to the 2408 word clock in. Make sure the ADAT bridge is configured correctly("digital" sync) in your DAE hardware setup. I think the ADAT bridge can get the sync from the PSX-100 via SPDIF or via the 2408 via lightpipe.

You will also need your MIDI interface to send SMPTE to his MIDI interface. Then select "slave to external sync" in Digital Performer. Make sure your frame rates all match up. Hitting record/play in ProTools should send sync to his system.

In regards to OMS configurations, the systems should be fairly independant of one and other. I don't think you will have to change your OMS config, or his OMS( or FreeMIDI) config. Just make sure you are able to send smpte (MTC) from your interface to his.

Sorry if I left anything out, I have never done this exact thing before, I am thinking off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, have you thought about bouncing the files in DP and importing them into PT?

------------------
Chris Knight
nyc
Old 04-26-2000, 06:50 PM

hey chris,
thanks again.
man i have tried everything to have him do any of the things you listed, but he wants to do the lightpipe thing.i will try to get the psx as my master clock. i'm not sure if the adat bridge will see the clock through the lightpipe. i will soon find out. thanks again for your help.

cmz