Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-09-1999, 11:18 AM

Default DIGIGRAM card for Powerbooks-- IN USE

I just purchased a Digigram VXPocket for my G3 Powerbook with Peak 2.0. I wanted to list all the problems I was having, in hopes someone out there has used it or might have any ideas.

I intended to use this with ProTools under Powermix. They told me in was compatible with anything Sound Manager was compatible with.

Analog in works nicely, except the line in is at -10. They write "professional" on the outside of the package, but have -10 inputs! Somewhat annoying, but I can work around it.

The digital input is another problem all together. I get the input from an Apogee Rosetta, so the clock source is strong. But there are strong clicks and pops, indicating a clocking problem. I tried other digital inputs (from ProTools) and I had the same problems. Furthermore, the input meters peak in PT when they don't peak on the Apogee.

Things work great in Peak, for the most part. There is a gain knob for the digital input that goes from 50-150. At about 113, the level matches that of the meters on the Apogee. Kind of weird. But it's a clean sound.

So I've somewhat given up on ProTools. The mic input direct in to PT seems to work fine, but I want to use my external preamp/converters. So I'm trying other software. Even though Deck is bundled with the most expensive BIAS software/VX Pocket package, it is in the field testing stage right now. Kind of weak. It also only supports 16 bits, and the 24 bit ASIO driver won't be ready till January (PT is 16 bit on powermix anyway, so it isn't a huge concern right now). I tried Cubase 3.5 with the ASIO driver, and it crashed hard everytime I switched the Digigram control panel to digital input. Studio Vision doesn't work at all-- Digigram is aware of this, but of course cannot contact Opcode right now. I have yet to try Digital Performer. I have a friend who has it, and I'm waiting to hear from him on borrowing it to try out.

So this has been a pretty frustrating experience so far. It's the only think on the market for Macs, so I'm gonna stick with it and try to sort out the mess. If anyone has any suggestions, throw them out there. If I can get this working with ANY software, it would be a dream come true.

[This message has been edited by uno1234 (edited 11-09-99).]
Old 11-09-1999, 06:22 PM

Default Re: DIGIGRAM card for Powerbooks-- IN USE

I purchased the VX pocket to use with a G3/400 and had to return it because even with no input, powermix was measuring a -72db noise level - too noisy! I guess it's hard to make a quality A/D converter that small.
Old 11-09-1999, 10:53 PM

Did you have any luck with the digital input?

I tried Digital Performer and it doesn't recognize the ASIO driver. I downloaded a demo of Deck, which BIAS says will work great with the card (they ran a demo of it at AES with Deck), but the digital in problems remain. I contacted BIAS for a replacement card, and they are sending a fresh one out tomorrow, overnight mail, and arranging for the other one to be picked up. Great service!

Hopefully the new one will solve the sound manager problems. As for -72 db, I haven't done any real work with the AD converters, although they have a pretty good spec. Were you having the same problems with other software? Powermix seems to make it a bit funky.

[This message has been edited by uno1234 (edited 11-09-99).]
Old 11-10-1999, 02:07 AM

Hey Folks,

I also purchased the setup from Peak. Yes, great service and very nice people! I havn't tested it out real thoroughly, but preliminary tests with Pro Tools on my 333 Lombard worked fine. I'm also running OS9. Could the clicking be from trying to transfer a 48K recording digitally? I could only run 44.1 in Powermix. I also remember the noise in analog going away when I had a source plugged in. With just the unconnected cables there was quite a bit of hiss. I thought the sound quality was gorgeous. I have also tried it in Peak. In Peak we get the luxury of input level controls. I did not try it with a good mike.

John
Old 11-10-1999, 02:07 AM

Hey Folks,

I also purchased the setup from Peak. Yes, great service and very nice people! I havn't tested it out real thoroughly, but preliminary tests with Pro Tools on my 333 Lombard worked fine. I'm also running OS9. Could the clicking be from trying to transfer a 48K recording digitally? I could only run 44.1 in Powermix. I also remember the noise in analog going away when I had a source plugged in. With just the unconnected cables there was quite a bit of hiss. I thought the sound quality was gorgeous. I have also tried it in Peak. In Peak we get the luxury of input level controls. I did not try it with a good mike.

John
Old 11-10-1999, 06:18 AM

Oh, am I jealous.

I'm sending the card back for a new one, and hopefully the problems will be fixed.

Also, I've been running in at 44.1. I figured it would be too much to ask for Powermix to run at 48.
Old 11-11-1999, 12:31 AM

Guys... Just the thread I've been looking for, as I'm considering a PB G3/333 - PT PowerMix - VX Pocket rig with an external SCSI drive for location recording... If any of you have this combination working, please e-mail me off-line at PepK12RS@aol.com or george.pepper@fema.gov... Thanks!... ;^D Pep
Old 06-08-2000, 10:18 AM

Dudes,

Am having all the same fun that you guys are but am leaving on a field record gig of 3 radio spots in an hour and a half. What fun huh? Trying the digital in at 48k encountered dae error 225, wouldn't even boot protools. (Resolved that-set digigram to 44.1 digital input and protools will run - still not see the card but run) Analog input worked but noise floor issue a dilema.

I may just have to dump the stuff in and re-do it when I get back to NYC on my real system. I wanted to try and see if I could finish the project on the road but it looks like not so much.

I am going to try and use peak to input the files anyways. Also time permitting I will try the audiomedia version of the software. Maybe that will open the worm can.
Old 06-08-2000, 10:38 AM

You can also try Logic Audio Platinum with the Pocket VX. It works well analog & digital.
Old 06-08-2000, 11:17 AM

Seems over all it aint really happening yet.
Jules
www.gearslutz.com