Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Apogee HD-X card............?

Has anyone tried the X card with A/D D/A?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Apogee HD-X card............?

No, but I just ordered one with the Rosetta 200. I know people have been using the X-MIX cards with no/few problems. . .

/jim
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Please post when you get it working, any problems, sounds great or bad, Digi card will see interface as a 192 or something else........Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm between computers right now, so it will be a while. But I'll post all my findings.

/jim
Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Hey ,, I got one of those Rosetta 200's ordered as well (they keep pushing back the shipping date!!)..
And my system is up and running fine, I'm currently useing a "LOANER" Digi 192,,, so I will post back asap about my findings once is here.. I did call Apogee long before ordering,along with extensive comparasons amongst the others(AD/DA Converters), and it seems it's gunna be BAD ASS !!!! (Especially for the money,, I would say with-out a doubt,, it's gunna be the "best bang for the buck").......... Type to ya soon.................
Old 07-03-2004, 12:14 PM

Maybe someone can point out what I am missing, but why would anyone buy an Apogee converter with an HD-X card over a 192?

Is the A/D or D/A quality noticeably better? I havent read anyone complain about the 192 and I havent seen any credible tests showing the Apogee is better. Sure, Apogee have ads with some engineers and Eddie Van Halen saying the Apogee is better, but for all I know Van Halen is probably deaf.

What confidence do you have that the HD-X will keep working with the next version of Pro Tools or the next firmware rev of the core cards from Digi or the next hardware from Digi?

Personally I think it is a large risk for very little potential gain. I would rather stick with the 192 and spend the money on a nice pre or a mic.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:40 PM

Well # 1 YES it's a night and day difference between any converter Digi EVER made or Will MAKE.. #2 BUT if you did already purchase a 192,, then of coarse your battling a harder decision in your head.. See I knew about this,, and waited to buy a interface from Digi, so now my only purchase of a interface (execpt for all my previous Mix Plus days and so on) will be this Apogee..(therefore I'll be pratically SAVING money to get a way better interface, that does way more) #3 See Apogee concentrates on converting, and converting only, and make some of the best scientific studies, and converting awareness come out in their products.. Digi has to concentrate on to much other thangs than to do just 1 thing right.. (A quarterback can't catch the ball as good as a receiver can, and vice versa) So if you concentrate as a company/business/empire on 1 thing and 1 thing only,,, your gunna do it to the EXTREME, and extremely awesome.... #4 You may wanna read up on the Apogee Rossetta 200, that thing got this NEW thing called "Coda" which nothing Digi has will/can do,, plus a million and one other things,,, it's gunna be hot (for us that only need 2 ins and 2 outs that is),, plus their filters/filtering, algorithims, and all other things that make up to SUPERIOR converting/SRCing Apogee is way better, and ahead of the game COMPARED to Digi(now if you wanna start talking about "WEISS" converters/SRC's ,,well then that's a whole nuther ball park,, about a $12,000.00 ball park!!)
And as far as it working,, the "HD Cards" from Apogee have already been working fine on some of their other products that are already out.. And Digi SOFTWARE changes,, not their HARDWARE,, so as long as Digi's next version of ProTools works with the same 192 everyone got (which it will, or they'd be outta business), then it'll work with any Apogee HD compliant unit.. Ohh , and if you read up on this device,, you'll also learn that it has a "MIDI"-in,, in the back,, now this IS STRICKLY FOR pluging into it and updating the FIRMWARE inside from their Website if the need is ever needed,, so they thought of everything.. And all updates will be free !! Check out this LINK : http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/rosetta200.php ,,,, and read baby,,,,READ !!!!!
Plus if you have any super ridulous tech questions and/or disbeliefs about it,,, call Apogee,, I did,, and they will answer all your questions...........
Old 07-03-2004, 05:15 PM

I haven't done any A/B testing between them but I personally doubt the apogee convertor will be "SO MUCH BETTER" than the 192. Unless you do mastering I think a decent converter, like the 192, is good enough. I would spend my extra money on pres or comps...but thats just me...if the mix hardware was good enough to be on commercial releases, then the 192 is good enough for me.

ps. Unless the apogee conversion is indeed "way better" than the Digi one...
Old 07-03-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I haven't done any A/B testing between them but I personally doubt the apogee convertor will be "SO MUCH BETTER" than the 192.
That is just "PERSONALLY"
Quote:
Unless you do mastering I think a decent converter, like the 192, is good enough.
"Good Enough" is never good enough for me.
Quote:
I would spend my extra money on pres or comps...but thats just me...
I already have top of the line Pre Amps,, and Compressors
Quote:
ps. Unless the apogee conversion is indeed "way better" than the Digi one...
I guarentee,,, it is "THAT" much better !!!!!! You should trust something that "specializes" in it's ONE THING...
Even in my earlier systems (Mix Plus with extra Farm Cards) , I used Apogee converters to make the incoming signal digital AES 24 bit(at any givin' sample rate, depending on session at time) before it got to Digi interfaces,, then all Digi interface had to do was take it(not do a damn thing to it) and put it in my session, because it was already converted. And I noticed a difference then,, way better quality... So now that they got that HD Card,, there will be no "to the interface",, it's just gunna go straight in, being converted by the still and always superior than Digi , APOGEE !!!!!.............
Now DIGI on the other hand is the BEST and always SUPERIOR than ANY OTHER in a Music Recording Software/ Platform. Aka --ProTools,, man that is the BADDEST, BEST program in the world !!!! F#UCK emagic Logic, Digital Performer, LameBase, and FruityLoops(jeeez, the name says it all).... Tried them ALL,,,,, they all suck !!!(and I gave 'em each a good 6 months of trying,,, wanting to like 'em),, NOPE,,,, I couldn't....... Why???...... PRO TOOLS is the best.....
Old 07-03-2004, 07:26 PM

Even in my earlier systems (Mix Plus with extra Farm Cards) , I used Apogee converters to make the incoming signal digital AES 24 bit(at any givin' sample rate, depending on session at time) before it got to Digi interfaces,, then all Digi interface had to do was take it(not do a damn thing to it) and put it in my session, because it was already converted. And I noticed a difference then,, way better quality... So now that they got that HD Card,, there will be no "to the interface",, it's just gunna go straight in, being converted by the still and always superior than Digi , APOGEE !!!!!.............
Now DIGI on the other hand is the BEST and always SUPERIOR than ANY OTHER in a Music Recording Software/ Platform. Aka --ProTools,, man that is the BADDEST, BEST program in the world !!!! F#UCK emagic Logic, Digital Performer, LameBase, and FruityLoops(jeeez, the name says it all).... Tried them ALL,,,,, they all suck !!!(and I gave 'em each a good 6 months of trying,,, wanting to like 'em),, NOPE,,,, I couldn't....... Why???...... PRO TOOLS is the best.....

[/QUOTE]

Wow. What a convincing arguement! I use apogees all the time and they are great. But I also think that the 192 is fine also. It sounds like Infa has been listening to the Apogee salesmen a little too much....