Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 AM

Default ISA428 ADAT with projectmix and PT8

I will be picking up a Focusrite ISA428 within the next week and was wondering if anyone has experience with one in a similar situation to mine and may be able to offer some help.
First off....the ISA428 has an adat option. I am wondering if the adat works straight out of the unit or do you have to buy the additional ad card. I hope to be able to use it ADAT out into my Project mix without having to use the extra A/D card as you can with most other pres with an adat option. I have read other forums as well as the online manual and both dont really give a solid answer.

The other option is to pick up the additional card. Based on my reading a lot of ISA428 users claim the A/D conversion when using the Focusrite card would be much better than that of my project mix. Is this type of ADAT (from the Focusrite card) supported by M audio and Pro Tools 8?

Hopefully this question isn't too far out of the M powered / PT realm. I am just hoping there is another user on this forum who has experience using one either in conjunction with an m audio interface or directly into pro tools via the A/D card.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Re: ISA428 ADAT with projectmix and PT8

smashbox,

Usually, the ISA line of Focusrite products does not come standard with the digital option card. It is a seperate purchase but an easy install for you.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 04-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Ok..so what I have gathered so far form reading is that the ISA428 has no ADAt feature unless you buy the additional A/D card (an extra 1000.00 plus..too bad they didnt just put a standard ADAT connection like the ones in some of their other pres)

So what I am trying to figure out now is if the AD Card that comes with the 428 is compatible with PTMP8 and a Project Mix for ADAT purposes.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashbox View Post
Ok..so what I have gathered so far form reading is that the ISA428 has no ADAt feature unless you buy the additional A/D card (an extra 1000.00 plus..too bad they didnt just put a standard ADAT connection like the ones in some of their other pres)

So what I am trying to figure out now is if the AD Card that comes with the 428 is compatible with PTMP8 and a Project Mix for ADAT purposes.
Used my pair briefly - worked great. You'll get 8 total channels of AD conversion with the ADAT option card, so there will be 4 more analog line inputs on the backplane of the 428.

I only had the ProjectMix for a short period before switching to a ProFire LightBridge and then settling on the 2626. Sold my ISA428 at some point in the process, as well. Sounded great in comparison to the ProjectMix's mic pres, but became terribly hot to the touch. I mean HOT!! Install the heatsink that comes with the option card - don't skip that step - and give her room to breath.

Try all the sych options and choose the one the sounds best to you. If you can't hear a difference, I'd make the ISA428 the sync master and call it good. Use the wordclock cable to interconnect the two.

Have fun!
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info!! Very good things to know.