Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 03-05-2023, 10:56 AM

Default transitioning from S3 workflow

I have become efficient mixing on S1/S3/Dock/Avid Control and I would like to apply similar setups when working on an S6 M10 16.

I have a number of layouts in my S1/S3 templates, some of which are a combination of auto-assigned and specifically assigned strips. I am looking for an equivalent to auto-assigned strips on the S6. The closest I have come is to lock some strips to specific tracks in Banking mode and have tracks bank around the locked strips. However, locked strips and spill zones are defined for the whole surface independently from layouts. If auto-assigned strips aren't an option on the S6, I think what I would need are something like locked strips or spill zones defined for each layout. Any suggestions?

Also, how do I attention a strip by touching its fader?

Serge
Old 03-06-2023, 04:05 AM
Avid

Default Re: transitioning from S3 workflow

Greetings,

On S4 or S6 systems you can access tracks in many different ways, whether Banked or explicit collections of tracks assigned to a Layout.

There are many different strategies to structure and access individual units within a large session. Many folks have currently taken to structuring their sessions using a combination of routing and basic folders - then taking advantage of Spill to access exactly the tracks required based on a particular workflow. With S4 and S6, you can simultaneously have 2 distinct (L & R) Spill Zones + Banked tracks - allocated based on your use case and how many total faders you happen to have on your console configuration.

Track Layouts are likely the most specific in terms of the included tracks, functions and placement of the track within the available strips. These can be recalled 1:1 or revealed within a Spill Zone container (L or R) - which means it is possible to have several contextual views accessible simultaneously. For example -> BG folder -> spilled reveal BG unit tracks (Left Zone), BG fx may contain effects returns (reverbs and such) for backgrounds which can be spilled (Right Zone) and controlled at the same time the unit tracks are feeding into them.

You may find that VCA Masters and Folder Tracks are sufficient or some combination of Folders + Layouts. It really depends on how you like to work.

You can certainly, on the fly, lock 1 or many tracks if you need to do so. It's as simple as leveraging the switched functions surrounding the OLED scribble strip on the desk. It may also be worth considering if there is a collection of tracks - a layout (placed into a zone) or a spilled folder may be more efficient.

Last, an auto-assigned strip is simply a normal banked track on S4 S6.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ