Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-25-2023, 05:25 PM

Default Pro Tool 8 LE lost validation code

Hey guys, quite a few years ago I got myself pro tools 8 le with an mbox, but because I was quite young I didn't understand the power the computer requirements it needed, I did manage to install it and get it working but it did not run very well of course. but after covid and all of that i recently picked up my guitar and all my equipment and now I am looking into this. i have installed it on my computer but unfortunately i have lost the Activation code, I simply just want to learn a new hobby with out having to spend a lot of money, it was gifted to me as a present from my dad for around £300 mark i believe at the time and i just simply want just want to access it once again. please if you can help drop me a message

Kind regards A.Bell
Old 02-25-2023, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tool 8 LE lost validation code

Hi Welcome to DUC.

First thought: do you have a computer and operating system that meets the Pro Tools 8 LE systems requirements https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Second thought: Pro Tools 8 is so old it's significantly restricted compared to modern DAWs. It's 32 bit only software, is only compatible with old RTAS plugins, so many modern third party plugins won't run with it, etc. And just a lot of features missing that more recent DAWs have, some really useful like disk cache, track freeze/commit, etc. etc. I expect you would be better off on a modern computer and OS running free Pro Tools Intro. You'll also likely find it easier to get help for problems if running something recent. And if you outgrow that purchasing a subscription to Pro Tools Artist or Studio. And if you wanted to learn on other DAWs, Reaper (Mac and PC), Logic Pro (Mac) are excellent (and in some areas much better than Pro Tools, in others weaker... many of us use more than one DAW). I would not be surprised if most of your getting started problem end up being related to using very old software. Pro Tools 8 is so old it does not have a specific forum area, but you could always try posting in the Pro Tools 9 forum.

Third thought, if you have a modern computer and OS version and want to give try a modern/current DAW then the MBox 2 won't work, it's well past end of support life and there is no modern drivers available... see https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Mbox-2-Drivers. But it's also just not a great interface compared to what you can get now. A widely recommended canonical beginner interface is the Focusrite 2i2 USB interface, available for ~$150 or so. There is no need to purchase an Avid interface to run modern Pro Tools, Avid long ago exited the low-end interface market, and there is a large variety of great interfaces available from UAD, RME, Apogee, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus and some others (and some vendors to be avoided as well).

If all the above still means you can/want to go ahead you might get lucky and Avid folks might be able to help you here, but you might be better off purchasing an ASC (Avid Support Code) and contacting Avid support. https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...cident-support then use that ASC to file an online account support case here: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support, forget trying to reach folks on the phone, I would just file an online support case.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-25-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:15 AM

Pro Tools 8 LE's code was in the Getting Started Guide - or whatever it was called - starting with DIGI.

But, as Darryl clearly pointed out, if your computer and operating system are not the same vintage as the Mbox, you're really wasting your time, and much better off with a new, inexpensive interface and Pro Tools Intro or Reaper.

Here are two interfaces to consider:

Audient Evo 4

MOTU M2
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-26-2023, 12:01 PM

And, you can now get Pro Tools Intro for free to go with a new(er) interface. The Focusrite Solo and 2i2 are 2 other options for little money

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2023, 01:51 PM

I agree with the suggestions above. Get a good 2022/23 interface (low cost these days) and start with PT Intro or Artist. There are other good DAWs but since this is an Avid forum, I feel you can get that information elsewhere.

I started with PT12 and that was old news and I cannot imagine trying to use 8. It doesn't sound like you have too much sweat equity into PT yet so your options are open.
Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop PC, Intel Hexa-Core i7-10750H, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Enterprise (20H2), 1TB SSD external work drive, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Pro Tools 2022.9, Avid Control w/Apple iPad, Avid Dock Control Surface, Avid S1.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:58 PM

I started with 5.1 and just recently took an ancient PowerMac G4 w/MIX3 from storage and fired it up to make sure it works before donating it to Malawi. Amazing how (relatively) good it was already back then (upgraded to 6.4.1). Scary thing is, a single MIX-era cable is worth more than the computer...