How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 02:42 AM

Default A Hardware/Software Question

Hey,
So, I am sure this has been asked before a lot, so, apologies, but, ive been running PT on a windows machine for a long time, and, I want to go back to mac. I know the ideal one is the mac studio, but, out my current budget, and, sadly, as are the M1/M2 Mac Minis, which would also work if I bump them up to 32Gb RAM, so...

I know the Mac Mini 2018 will take the latest OSX, but, I think my question is, for the latest version of PT, what is the "oldest" version of OSX anyone would recomment, and, hardware wise, how old can I get away with to make this work?

This will be, basically, a stopgap until I can grab one of the above machines, a workaround if you will, as my PC is creaking! (although, as a side note, I can install OSX Monterey on it native, due to how it was built haha, but, its over 10 years since I built a hackintosh so, thats probably going to fail haha).

Basically trying to find the cheapest mac option as a short term fix, if that makes sense?
Old 02-17-2023, 02:44 AM

Default Re: A Hardware/Software Question

I forgot to mention, I really dont want a laptop, or an iMac, as I have my screens, monitors etc all in place, so, either old mac pro, or old mac mini probably, just to see what I can make work as I have projects on the go haha
Old 02-17-2023, 11:30 AM

What about a laptop tied to a hub so all your current stuff could remain in place and connected?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2023, 11:32 AM

I just dont like laptops :) Plus, it would kinda get in way with the setup I have here already. I want some decent spec, so, may end up costing me more and being inconvenient
Love your signature by the way Dave
Old 03-21-2023, 09:07 AM

So, this is all sorted now, fate conspired to allow me to pic up a mac mini m1, 8gb no less, and, works like a dream :)