Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-18-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Extra metronome pings

Nothing is set through the MIDI Beat Clock.

There are no Midi tracks in this project. Currently, there is just one mono audio track.

This is a desktop, not a laptop, but I can make the built in audio the computer's default and use the Scarlett 8i6 just for Pro Tools. When I do this, the goofy extra sound is coming from the computer, not through the Scarlett.

This tells me that ProTools is outputting something that isn't going through the Scarlett. If I go into I/O Setup and under Bus, I uncheck the Spearkers 1-2, then I don't get anything from my Scarlett and still get the odd pings from my computer.

It seems that Pro Tools is somehow generating this and sending it to the computer and not through the audio interface. This is progress but not a solution. While wearing headphones, I shouldn't hear this and if I turn the computer volume off or mute it, this extra ping shouldn't bleed into any recordings.

I also tried leaving the computer sound to go through the Scarlett and muting the computer makes the extra pings go away.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Look in Setup>Midi>Midi Beat Clock and see if you are routed to any of the Microsoft instruments.

Also make sure you don't have any Midi tracks routing to the Microsoft Instruments.

Another thing to do is to make sure your laptop is not using your audio interface for windows sounds. Put the laptop back on the internal audio ports and leave the audio interface strictly for Pro Tools.

Nothing is set through the MIDI Beat Clock.

<I had an image here and it wouldn't let me post with it>

There are no Midi tracks in this project. Currently, there is just one mono audio track.

This is a desktop, not a laptop, but I can make the built in audio the computer's default and use the Scarlett 8i6 just for Pro Tools. When I do this, the goofy extra sound is coming from the computer, not through the Scarlett.

This tells me that ProTools is outputting something that isn't going through the Scarlett. If I go into I/O Setup and under Bus, I uncheck the Spearkers 1-2, then I don't get anything from my Scarlett and still get the odd pings from my computer.

It seems that Pro Tools is somehow generating this and sending it to the computer and not through the audio interface. This is progress but not a solution. While wearing headphones, I shouldn't hear this and if I turn the computer volume off or mute it, this extra ping shouldn't bleed into any recordings.

I also tried leaving the computer sound to go through the Scarlett and muting the computer makes the extra pings go away.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:38 PM

This is no making any sense. If you are using a Scarlett as an interface than the audio cannot "go" anywhere else but to outputs on the Scarlett. If it's showing up again in the PC audio it has to be because you are giving it a hardware/software signal path.

Unless you are combining interfaces with ASIO4ALL... Please tell me you are not using ASIO4ALL (at all).

Do you have a hot mic anywhere (on the PC?) picking up the click? monitor controllers or other outboard boxes? something else? You have a digital or analog audio input on the PC sound card fed from the Scarlett interface?

Pro Tools can't generate sound into other places by magic, there is clearly something you've got set up here wrong, and I suspect it is unlikely to be any problem inside Pro Tools.

Disconnect *everything* not needed, all extra cables going to the PC or interface. Remove any monitor controllers, disable any audio routing software in the PC, install the proper Scarlett driver if using ASIO4ALL, uninstall ASIO4ALL.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-18-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:39 PM

Default Extra metronome pings

Pro Tools doesn’t make sounds other than the audio that is produced as you record/mix. For whatever reason, windows and your mobo is having a weird reaction to however Pro Tools works.

I would try turning off the windows sounds in the audio settings and see if this solves your problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-18-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurSchwieger View Post
It seems that Pro Tools is somehow generating this and sending it to the computer and not through the audio interface.
This is not possible.
Pro Tools can only talk to one interface (it does not support multi-interfaces; the whole engine does not have this ability.) ASIO4ALL can combine interfaces but that's about it on Windows. And hopefully you are using the Scarlett's drivers.

You have computer problems not Pro Tools problems.The Scarlett is multi-client which means it can accept multiple sources to it. In this case, your computer as an additional source. Which is making its own sounds which you've attributed to Pro Tools -- something Pro Tools isn't doing.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:13 PM

I do not have ASIO4ALL installed on any computer. This computer is dedicated to using Pro Tools so I have it very much set up just for that. I am using the Scarlett drivers only.

There are 5 things plugged into the computer:
  • Power
  • Ethernet cable
  • Monitor (via display port)
  • Monitor (via USB as hub for keyboard and mouse)
  • Scarlett 8i6 (via USB)
The Scarlett has 4 things plugged in:
  • Power
  • USB connection to computer
  • XLR to a mic
  • Headphone out to headphones
With the mic and headphones unplugged, so only two thing plugged into the Scarlett, I still get the extra ping from the computer speaker when I play my Pro Tools session.
The only thing that makes it stop the pinging is if I turn the metronome off which defeats the purpose of having it. I can mute the computer so I don't hear the extra ping but it is still there as it shows up on the peak meter in Windows Sound dialogue.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:19 PM

Again, it will very likely be something you are doing. You have to have confidence of that, and just doggedly work through stuff.

You should confirm you do not have Windows or other apps besides Pro Tools that also have the Focusrite open... that maybe could be a cause here, and it might be some audio utility or video conferencing software etc. You might even have Focusrite control routing signals within the 8i6 which makes this more complex. Test that by disabling Focusrite Control. Remember whatever routings it's doing it is doing for all applications that are using the interface.

Sadly Lenovo fills up many of their computers with crapware. Is there any audio routing or other audio apps running on the Lenovo? Reboot the computer and walk through Task Manager identifying everything running and if it looks correct. Google by app/process name to be sure it should be th

Clearer details might help. What *exact* model Lenovo ThinkCenter and what exact make/model display monitor do you have? A Sandra report for the PC would be great. What exact audio monitors? Disconnect as much stuff as possible.

I ask because some Lenovo monitors have built in Webcams and Microphones, etc.

Be careful of stuff like headphones plugged into microphone sockets and acting as microphones.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-19-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:57 AM

And besides Darryl's excellent as always advice, go to Control Panel>Sound and on both the Playback and Recording Tabs, look for and disable any instance of your Focusrite interface. Use the onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio and the Focusrite only for Pro Tools.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-20-2022, 06:27 PM

Focusrite is disabled for windows so it can't use it for Playback or Record.
I am fine with it being me as the issue, I just want to figure out what it is and correct it.
Nothing but Pro Tools is using the Focusrite. I went into the Focusrite control and did a factory reset just in case there was something I changed there.

My computer was a complete OS rebuild from scratch to be my Pro Tools computer. I did go through the Task Manager and looked through everything I did not recognize and did not find anything unexpected.

Device name ProTools
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2/‎6/‎2021
OS build 19043.1586
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

No audio monitors connected. I use my headphones to monitor and yes, they are plugged into one of the two headphone jacks on the front of the Focusrite. Switching from one headphone jack to the other makes no change.

The monitor is a Dell U3818DW. No built in mic or camera.
There is literally nothing left to unplug from the computer or the Focusrite and keep it running. Plugged in, the computer has: power, network cable (RJ-45), display port, Focusrite (usb), Keyboard (usb). Plugged into the Focusrite: power, usb connection, headphones. There is nothing else connected to this system.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurSchwieger View Post
Focusrite is disabled for windows so it can't use it for Playback or Record.
Disabled? You can't *disable* the audio interface or Pro Tools could not use the interface. All you have presumably set in the Windows sound control panel is for Windows not to use it? Windows may not be using the interface itself but any app (similar to how like Pro Tools is doing) can use it directly. You need to look carefully at all the apps/processes running on the PC. And again be suspicious of any audio software, video conference software or crapware from Lenovo--but sounds like you already did that, which leaves... Checking again?

When you did a Windows 10 install was that a full clean install from a genuine Microsoft Windows installer? Or was it from a Lenovo recovery partition/media? Did you reinstall any Lenovo custom software (could have been downloads) after the Windows 10 full clean install... hopefully not and that helps as it excludes any of their crapware? Sorry but Lenovo has a bad rap here with their consumer stuff, and they inherited some awful crapware quality standards from IBM (Their old ThinkPad etc. java based utilities that were pretty awful).