Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2023, 04:09 PM

Default Re: More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Bumping this thread.

Has anyone who had these problems found that they are resolved in 2022.12 ?

Dominic
I've only had and used my Carbon (daily-ish) since the day after 2022.12 came out, and have had no problems that I can attribute to it.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-19-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
This is not a good thread to read. I just bought 2 carbon systems and will put them in service soon. Like a couple of days soon... Yikes.

Steve
I haven't run into sync issues but I'm operating independently so I don't use it in every possible Studio scenario. From what I can say through my experience, no sync issues on my end.

I'm eagerly awaiting the ability for the Carbon Pre units to be able to use the ADAT ports simultaneously with the analog ports in a Carbon Expanded setup. That's holding me back, and if I'm being honest, seems unnecessary 44.1, 48, and 96k. At the very least allow them to be SPDIF enabled, but ADAT capability is possible.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:44 PM

I'm on the latest PT.

I still have every recording print up to 2000 samples early. All tracks print the same amount of early, but not every punch in does. Absolutely maddening. It's possible it's because I use auxes for things like drums and feed the auxes to a main aux bus (classic PTHD workflow), but I don't know any other way to make a headphone mix system work the way it should.

I belive this is because hybrid does not have delay compensation for Green monitored paths.

The biggest problem is if I edit a section or do BD, all other takes and Overdubs will print out of time. And be off grid. If the number was identical every punch I'd just do nudge value, but it varies. Really rough to track a band with still.

Been using the backup rig unless I'm tracking a full band at once.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
I'm on the latest PT.

I still have every recording print up to 2000 samples early. All tracks print the same amount of early, but not every punch in does. Absolutely maddening. It's possible it's because I use auxes for things like drums and feed the auxes to a main aux bus (classic PTHD workflow), but I don't know any other way to make a headphone mix system work the way it should.

I belive this is because hybrid does not have delay compensation for Green monitored paths.

The biggest problem is if I edit a section or do BD, all other takes and Overdubs will print out of time. And be off grid. If the number was identical every punch I'd just do nudge value, but it varies. Really rough to track a band with still.

Been using the backup rig unless I'm tracking a full band at once.
I can't really help with complex routing, but have you looked at Avid's recommended way of doing headphone mixes with Carbon in this video? I'm wondering if it will avoid the stacked Auxes you are using, and still provide a way to provide multiple monitor mixes. There are a few ways to quickly copy and paste settings explored in the video. It's only 3:35 long, but it took me about an hour to set up and understand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjO7CXfqwWs

Dominic
Old 03-23-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I can't really help with complex routing, but have you looked at Avid's recommended way of doing headphone mixes with Carbon in this video? I'm wondering if it will avoid the stacked Auxes you are using, and still provide a way to provide multiple monitor mixes. There are a few ways to quickly copy and paste settings explored in the video. It's only 3:35 long, but it took me about an hour to set up and understand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjO7CXfqwWs

Dominic
Thanks. I'll give it another look. What I recall was it didn't allow for the master feed, plus the additional subs in balanced sends to my Furman headphone mix system.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:43 PM

Well I did have similar situations before, but I solved them by changing my tracking workflow.

I figured out two things. One is that, never turn on the DSP mode for either click or backing tracks. Just set them to DSP safe mode. The other thing is that never use any aux returns for direct signal routings. Of course, you can use aux returns for effects through sends if a little bit extra pre-delay doesn't matter. But never route any DSP mode recording tracks to any aux returns. Roughting these audio tracks directly to the masters and you will be fine.

Not sure about if the second thing is true for every one, but I solved these sync problems after I followed these two rules. BTW, I haven't recorded any big sessions like full bands with carbon, but I think the solutions are the same. Hope these can be helpful.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsonKZ View Post
The other thing is that never use any aux returns for direct signal routings. Of course, you can use aux returns for effects through sends if a little bit extra pre-delay doesn't matter. But never route any DSP mode recording tracks to any aux returns. Roughting these audio tracks directly to the masters and you will be fine.
You're saying use a master out for a bus/subgroup instead of an aux? How will it get to the main mix? You can't multi-assign outputs in Carbon like you could in HD.

Example: I will have 12 drum tracks, typically. These feed a bus/aux (or Folder bus) currently. 2-3 bass tracks to a bus, guitars to a bus, etc. These busses feed the main out/mix bus. If I send each of those to a separate master out instead of an aux/bus I'd have to send separate analog outs for each group and sum them back to stereo to have a pseudo main mix. This also won't be able to export to stereo.

How is it you're doing it that is working around that. Am I missing something easy?
Old 03-24-2023, 01:27 PM

So, from the new 2023.3 release - "Different tracks in native and DSP mode are now in sync when outputting to an Aux I/O device (PT-290667)"

Is this the silver bullet?
Is there an easy way to get more detail about that PT ticket?

EDIT: Just realized that's Aux I/O, not aux.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
You're saying use a master out for a bus/subgroup instead of an aux? How will it get to the main mix? You can't multi-assign outputs in Carbon like you could in HD.

Example: I will have 12 drum tracks, typically. These feed a bus/aux (or Folder bus) currently. 2-3 bass tracks to a bus, guitars to a bus, etc. These busses feed the main out/mix bus. If I send each of those to a separate master out instead of an aux/bus I'd have to send separate analog outs for each group and sum them back to stereo to have a pseudo main mix. This also won't be able to export to stereo.

How is it you're doing it that is working around that. Am I missing something easy?
Well, I mean I won't use any auxes or folders for stems (like Drum Bus or Bass Bus) during tracking, though the official video showed that folders for stems are available. I will just route all tracks directly to the main out.