Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2023, 02:45 PM

Default Re: XMon Breakout Cable-DIY

Amazing! Thank you so much!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-15-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Greetings!

Bumping this thread. It seems the links in this thread to the cable wiring have all gone dead. Anybody still have this information who would be willing to pass it along!

Thanks!

Same! Having trouble getting this working.

I have made the correct connections based on the original post but am having no joy in getting the XMON to communicate.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:37 AM

In the end I end up paying the $350 to get the official Avid connection kit which worked immediately upon installation. If you want the Avid Cable it's 9900-65541-00 S6 XMON Cable Set, for S6 EUCON control of XMON. I got mine from B&H.

In retrospect I think the actual source of my problem was the midi interface.The Avid kit came with an iConnectivity mio which definitely works.

Hope this helps!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 08-25-2023, 11:00 AM

I'm getting my XMON setup with my dock/s1 system. I've got the cable that came with it, it's a DIY cable, the midi is working fine. I wanted to use the headphone out as my desk headphones, The signal is robust and clean but the stereo image is wrong, its a mono signal in both ears, but only the left side of the stereo signal, anything on the right is gone.

I decided to get out the DMM, cut back some shrink tubing and check the cable wiring against the schematic that Eddie posted on the last page. the first thing I noticed is that my cable is a mirror image of the avid schematic pins, so pin 1 is pin 8 on my cable, pin 15 on the schematic is pin 9 on my cable, but the midi connections work fine and they seem to be wired to the proper pins on my mirrored cable, ie. my pin 4 goes to pin 5 on my midi cable, my pin 12 goes to pin 4 on my midi cable just like the schematic calls for. Strange. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something. My cable has a male dsub, but I assume the avid cable is a male sub as well because the xmon has a female connection.

The headphone connector is a female connector just like on the avid cable. it is wired pin 5 to tip, pin 6 to ring, and pin 13 to sleeve. It looks correct to me, however pin 14 which on the Avid schematic should also connect to sleeve is clipped and unconnected. I connected it with a jumper to sleeve and it just caused some zippering noise when the headphone volume was adjusted, so I'm not sure why its connected on the schematic.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:38 PM

I did a bunch of testing on the cable and found that it worked when pins 13/14 were connected to the left/right connections for the phones and pin 6 was the ground. I thought it odd that it didn’t match the schematic and then I came here to reread the thread and found my answer on the first post. The PDF is wrong. I don’t know how I missed that. Whoever wired the cable used the PDF and apparently never used the phones Jack. Midi and phones work fine.

The talkback mic seems to work, but it’s noisy(clock noise?) and if I turn it up, the signal distorts and then goes away, maybe it’s because I’m testing it using a low impedance mic(sm57) directly connected and it needs a preamp or hi-z mic?
Old 09-08-2023, 01:33 AM

Thank you to everyone for all the good information on this thread, I’ve just bought a used Xmon taken from an S6 and followed the instructions and it worked first time. I bought the iConnectivity Mio as suggested on here and it’s working flawlessly with an older Euphonix 5-MC. I haven’t wired in anything apart from the MIDI cables and used female connectors wired into the DB15, just to give anyone considering this a bit of courage that it will work.

One thing I found was that the Xmon software did lose connection occasionally but the problem was just that on the master fader, I had the Eucon Master Fader selected, deselect this and it keeps connection all day long.