Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2022, 08:16 AM

Default 2022.9 Melodyne Analyzing freezes PT

Working on a 270 minutes concert live recording session. All continuous audio files.

Using ARA melodyne ends in freezing protools 2022.9 on a mac pro 2019 16core, monterey 12.6.
Happens while analyzing a seperated clip.

first aid:
consolidate clip first, after it works.

Is there any limited file size for ARA melodyne?

best regards, Patrick
Old 09-29-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Re: 2022.9 Melodyne Analyzing freezes PT

ran into this as well, a two hrs concert, ended up using a separate track and worked in chunks, song by song.

Windows 10 21h2, PT 2022.9, I7 10700
Old 09-29-2022, 09:04 AM

Same experience here. Live concert with 9 songs. The vocal track was already cut to only the places the singer sang.

Tried to add melodyne to 1 of the tracks. Froze for about 5 minutes. When it came back I could use PT but any changes to the track with Melodyne would cause PT to hang.

Also, any time I saved the session PT hung upwards of a minute to save. It eventually locked up and had to force quit.

On another session that was 2 hours, I tried to edit in melodyne on a track that the silence hadn't been removed yet and PT hung and after about 20 minutes quit unexpectedly.

Might go back to the putting Melodyne on an insert method.

On a Mac Studio Ultra with 64gigs of RAM.

-Andy
Old 09-29-2022, 09:45 AM

I wonder if this a bug or a limitation
Old 09-29-2022, 10:00 AM

Does this workflow work in Studio One with a 270 minute file?

It stands to reason that it’s going to take some time analyzing that much data. Break it up in smaller chunks and work with it that way. You and your machine will be much happier.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoemo View Post
Same experience here. Live concert with 9 songs. The vocal track was already cut to only the places the singer sang.

Tried to add melodyne to 1 of the tracks. Froze for about 5 minutes. When it came back I could use PT but any changes to the track with Melodyne would cause PT to hang.

-Andy
Hi Folks! Melodyne analyse the whole file your trimmed clip created from. It is for you to be able to trim out the edges of the ARA-clip after that, rating crossfades etc.
So, if you have many hours record and want to ARA-analyze only part of it, better cut and consolidate the part you need. Otherwise you should wait until Melodyne plug-in analyse all the stuff from your file and make sure you have enough free space on the system drive since a tons of cache data throws in the “Separations” folder of the Ceremony folder I the Caches system folder.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 AM

Hi Folks! Melodyne analyse the whole file your trimmed clip created from. It is for you to be able to trim out the edges of the ARA-clip after that, creating crossfades etc.
So, if you have many hours record and want to ARA-analyze only part of it, better cut and consolidate into a new file the part you need. Otherwise, you should wait until Melodyne plug-in analyses all the stuff from your file and make sure you have enough free space on the system drive since tons of cache data throws in the “Separations” folder of the Celemony folder in the Caches system folder. But it's crazy to analyze many hours record anyway.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:35 AM

Many thanks Vadym

Very clear explanation!

So we consolidate what needs to be edited.

One small remark, within my setup PT is freezing not just needs huge time to analyse.

Best, Patrick
Old 09-29-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadym B View Post
Hi Folks! Melodyne analyse the whole file your trimmed clip created from. It is for you to be able to trim out the edges of the ARA-clip after that, creating crossfades etc.
So, if you have many hours record and want to ARA-analyze only part of it, better cut and consolidate into a new file the part you need. Otherwise, you should wait until Melodyne plug-in analyses all the stuff from your file and make sure you have enough free space on the system drive since tons of cache data throws in the “Separations” folder of the Celemony folder in the Caches system folder. But it's crazy to analyze many hours record anyway.
Of course working in consolidated small chunks is better, but I don’t think it should freeze on a longer ones. It freezes during the progress bar.