Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 08-19-2022, 06:51 PM

Default Motu ultralite

I currently have an m-audio Pro Fire. I just put in a low offer on a Motu Ultralite on ebay and won. It's the older firewire only version. It that going to be an upgrade over the profire 610? Same number of preamps but more total I/O. I mostly wanted it for newer drivers.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Motu ultralite

Firewire is dying... If you need to upgrade your audio interface, I'd avoid FW. Lots of new/great/affordable options.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-20-2022, 09:27 AM

I understand that. I wouldn't purchase a new firewire only device. Though Motu still sells several FW/USB combo devices. BUt you can get older FW interfaces for under $100 on ebay.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:40 AM

Default Motu ultralite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
I understand that. I wouldn't purchase a new firewire only device. Though Motu still sells several FW/USB combo devices. BUt you can get older FW interfaces for under $100 on ebay.

There’s a reason for that. FW on Macs has been deprecated. It’s functionality could break at some point in the future and Apple will not fix it. If they implement a change to the OS that does somehow affects FW implementation, that’s it. There is no more development.

Also, those FW interfaces for $100 probably don’t have current drivers for modern OS releases. Most manufacturers stop supporting interfaces after a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2022, 08:47 AM

At least MOTU is more likely to keep updating drivers. M-Audio is pretty much DOA for anything slightly old(and pro fire is more than slightly old...)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-23-2022, 08:34 PM

Yeah, that's the thing. The maudio device hasn't had drivers for years. The motu is supported through Mojave, which happens to be the lastest OS my perpetual works on. And Firewire isn't going to just break as long as I am running it on older macs. And also, firewire still works, even on Apple Silicon you just have to have two adaptors and I think only RME supports it.

But I have a home/hobby studio I don't make any money at this so for me, I get the best bang for the buck going to with older gear.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:02 PM

I got it today. For a total cost of about $80, I think it was a good deal for an interface with 8 analog inputs.
It has official driver support up to Mojave, which I need for my version of Pro Tools but it still works in basic form in Catalina, I just didn't get the apps. BUt in Catalina, I just need something to playback through my monitors. I have a dual boot system for PT.