Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Very slight pitch difference on Protools session

Default Very slight pitch difference on Pro-tools session

Apparently the gods of the pro-tools universe have chosen me for this anomaly that know one so far has an answer for. I recorded at 44k at another studio that uses Pro-tools 9 LE. We used my hard-drive. When I got home the pitch of the tracks are slightly higher than what we recorded at. By about a 1/6 of a tone. I tried opening a new session at 48K thinking that there may have been a clock issue only to find that all the tracks I imported in play a lot higher in pitch by about a full tone.
Here's the other part that's confusing. When I take the Acoustic guitar track and open it in iTunes it reads as a 44k file. When I go in my session and export the same track from the Export Regions as Files, the window opens up saying that it is 48k.
I'm running M-powered 8.03 at my end and have all the original files that we wrote on my hard drive. At this point my only work around for this "live off the floor session" is to take is to my friend's HD system, use VSO and vary speed the track out to his Studer and then back into new sessions.
Am I alone here or has anyone else encountered this slight pitch problem and has a solution? Thanks.......Alec
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Very slight pitch difference on Protools session

84 people viewed this and no one has had this problem. Lucky you.
Turns out that the engineer switched to an external clock from the internal clock that had always been the standard way to do it for the studio. Playback there was in tune because it was still the same clock running the tracks. I got them to send me a test tone and it was always sharp so I sent it to someone else to verifiy and yes it was out. Then I got the studio to switch back to their internal clock and send me another test tone. This one was on pitch
The work around for my session to get it back to pitch was to go to another studio and vary speed the entire session by -36 cents, all the time checking with a strobe tuner and a keyboard, guitar and our ears. When we finally locked into tune we sent the mixes to the 2" Studer and then bounced them back into new sessions. I've got them home and everything's working fine. 3 days of torture but the outcome is what matters. I hope you never have to do this. Cheers......Alec