Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Default 5.1 Documentry Mix Center Channel?

I have mixed some 5.1 TV shows and some 5.1 cartoons. I have not mixed a documentry yet in stereo or 5.1. I am about to do a mix for Broadcasters like Discovery Canada and US and other international Distrubitors.

I wanted to know what you guys think about the center channel in a documentry Mix. Should it only be Narration? Or should the sync Dialog be in there too? With or without FX and Music? (Spec sheets don't mention anything about the Center channel besides the max level information etc.)

I have mixed both ways with cartoons and reality television and kinda found different results but I didnt totally love the Narriation only in the cenetr channel If your not in the sweet spot You can somtimes really hear the narrator jump in and out Of the Center channel. Or the sync Jump out of the LEft and Right.
\\
THanks

kd
Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Documentry Mix Center Channel?

Nothing different about docs. Some networks REQUIRE narration to be the only thing in the center. Some require no music in the center. Some don't seem to care. If the specs allow it do what you like. I like all major dialog in the center.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 AM

In the UK DISCO(very) like the centre channel to be Narr and Sync Interviews only so that 5.1 mixes can be easily reversioned for different languages. (Just imagine if every US state had a different language? you would all be rich reversioning!)

Non interview sync (aka pfx) goes to LR only

Personally I am NOT a fan of that as a style as it gives voice of god effect and makes the 5.1 sound very artificial and contrived - but that is taste for you.

SKY UK ask for sync (interviews and general sync sound aka pfx) to be diverged slightly across LCR and NARR to be centre only. This style agrees with my personal taste. But one man's meat is another man's poison...

The old adage always applies, give em what they ask for... devil is in the delivery specs

have fun mixing

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Good to have the input...

Yeah Im gonna go with all Major dail in the center. Sfx Music on the sides. Not much in the background If anything other than music and AMB.

Im also honestly thinking of doing a stereo mix then slapping it into surround. There just isnt much Sound design that lends itself to 5.1 that wont be distracting if its in the rears.

But I have always done a 5.1 mix then gone to stereo just to be sure eveyrthing will sync and fold down properlly etc. This mix has so many stem requirments I definitly know the PT Mixer bussing will be intense (DSP Hog). However we did get the Waves 360 Bundle and I have yet to try out the 5.1 to stereo Waves matrix plugs. They seem like they would save some internal PT bussing and hopefully some DSP

I would kinda feel like im coping out doing a stereo mix to 5.1

kd
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 AM

Waves (or any other) downmix plug saves a whole host of busses. Personally, not just because of my dislikel of waves, I prefer the Neyrinck as it is individually controllable (I find the centre sometimes needs a lift in the downmixes. You can achieve this with a trim plug.

I often mix in stereo and upmix for 5.1 the fx and music stems. Many productions as you have indicated do not benefit from a discreet 5.1 mix

Cheers
Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)

BAFTA member
IPS member

www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 AM

Hi Mike as a side note do you have any contact with Sam Burke at Discovery UK, she was the post co-ordinator on Family Affairs when I worked there and is a lovely girl to work with.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 AM

Hi Gary
I know of her, but not worked with yet....

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)

BAFTA member
IPS member

www.mikerophonics.com