Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-21-2001, 11:07 AM

Default making individual songs out of a multi-song session

I tracked an 80-minute live show in Pro Tools not too long ago and I need to pull individual songs into their own PT sessions. I'm a bit concerned about doing this. The main reason is, because of disk space, I want only the audio regions for a particular song to be in that session's audio files folder. I also want to avoid the "where is Kick 3" nightmares.

What's the best way to accomplish the division into separate sessions? Track transfer? Bouncing into multi-track stems? again, disk space is an issue.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2001, 01:36 PM

Default Re: making individual songs out of a multi-song session

You might consider backing up individual songs to CD. Once you've split them into individual songs as plugs suggests, you got probably get two or three songs on each CD. You can then just drag and drop them to your hard disk to work with them.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:00 PM

This is what I usually do:

1) Select all the songs and files I don't need;
2) Clear all the selected files (remove NOT delete!)
3) Select "Save session copy in…" and include all audio files.
4) Close the big session WITHOUT saving it!
5) Open the other songs and work with it (now all the files used in the previous session are duplicated in the new one)
6) Reopen the big session and do the same with the next song.
7) When I have splitted the big session in multiple songs, I delete the big one.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:31 AM

There's a couple ways.
1. You could highlight all tracks for each song and duplicate them, then bring them into clean sessions.Once you have all the songs in there individual sessions you could throw a away the originals (or back 'em up).
2. The other way would be to do a "save as" (not copy) for each song title, then in each session highlight all tracks for each song, press command T (preferably in shuffle), mix the song and move on to the next.
If you don't have enough drive space for the whole 80 min's, I suggest #1 (one song can be on the drive at a time). If you do, I suggest #2. Each session is using the same (and original) audio files.

I don't know, what d'you think?