Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 PM

Default Incredibly simple feature request / the crushing weight of my own ignorance

I have an incredibly simple feature request.

While trashing the I/O, there are shortcuts for every mechanic - switching between panes, deleting, accepting pop up commands EXCEPT as far as I am aware importing the new I/O .pio. You can do the whole thing without touching the mouse, except for grabbing the new I/O, which makes the process easily twice as long. And, moreover, why provide the commands to make the whole process mouseless, except totally for real not at all - for the most important step.

I have researched individually and polled many. Does this exist and we're missing it? If so and you can share with me and the class, this is maybe 3 years on my life and perhaps hundreds or thousands for users collectively. Think of the achievements, the epic statements of humanity's purpose that ring in the harmonics of the universe we could all thus be enabled to create with those additional years. The Hits, The vanity records; the youtube channels and tampon commercials. Why, this one addition alone could be responsible for millions of additional revenue aggregately across the entertainment industry as a universal workflow issue is summarily and universally resolved.

Don't tell us to write a script. There's no way learning another thing just to do that one stupid little thing is gonna happen. You've got a glorious and robust architecture at your disposal already and I'm supposed to add a startup item? It would take your people 12 minutes. This post, even, this could have been I/O's trashed and cleaned up for weeks worth of work with that trivial but crucial inclusion.

Please. And thank you. Make all of our lives just that much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRmmLKhkE0
Old 12-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Incredibly simple feature request / the crushing weight of my own ignorance

There's no way software will ever totally ditch the mouse. There are some things that are actually quicker and easier using the mouse than using keyboard shortcuts. There's no way the collective time used is equal to 3 years; a few seconds a day. You've wasted more time stewing about this than you would have by just using the mouse. And apparently you've never written software - 12 minutes isn't possible for the change you're asking about. Don't forget when you change one thing in a program other things can change as a result and you have to test for all that. Why do you think PT updates are few and far between?

Life ain't always easy and goes like you'd want it to - get used to it. For me and the vast majority of others we just do what we need to do to get the job done and don't sweat the small stuff.

QAPLA!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Post Re: Incredibly simple feature request / the crushing weight of my own ignorance

Please submit this idea at http://protools.ideascale.com. Either your peers will agree and vote it up, or disagree and vote it down.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Incredibly simple feature request / the crushing weight of my own ignorance

Master Chief - I will absolutely do that. Thanks and thanks again. This one simple addition would save us all a bunch of time. I don't see this as a personal workflow issue, this is a chokepoint across the user base that could easily be solved with a simple contextual shortcut. I'll plead my case with the lot over there. Thank you.

Last edited by bdbender; 12-13-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:36 PM

Jack-
Perhaps I was unclear on two things and, for that, I apologize.

I wasn't advocating a suite of additional shortcuts that could make pro tools a mouse-less Ux. As should be clear, I was describing an issue for all users, intermediate and beyond, that could simply and swiftly be resolved by the powers that be that have access to the shortcut functionality of this wonderful DAW I spend the vast majority of my waking hours in. I would love to have a functional video engine that doesn't require transcoding. I would love to have automation playlists. These are not what I am advocating for here.

Second, I think the comedy in my tone should have been blisteringly evident and, in case not, I went ahead chucked a nice little Mr Show cherry right on top, just for you! Are you a two jar slave? I am! And I am trying to get the manufacturer to hook us all up with mustmayostardayonnaise.

To wit, the well-meant comedy inherent in what I am about to say should additionally be quite clear but, in case not, please accept this provisional disclaimer : JOKES COMIN'

Dude. It's a shortcut feature request. It's saltines in the desert under a heat lamp, looking at a picture of drained reservoir covered in sheetrock dust. DRY. If not for the self deprecating subject line, no one would even be here.

I'm not much one for trolling but you have inspired me with that pearl of wisdom about life's tribulations. You're right. To this point in my existence on this wonderfully flawed planet, I have been as Siddhartha in the garden, unsullied by base human weakness and uncalloused by desires unrequited. Clean. All until this wonderfully timed intervention. I really have to thank you for that kernel of the universal truth.

Re getting the F on with it, maybe that's why this will be my, what, 11th ever post in the DUC? Maybe? Maybe I'm too busy making records every day to plod about in internet forums where people misunderstand your point and then take time out of their day to belittle you? Maybe? Maybe an additional contextual shortcut in one menu isn't going break their compiler?

I really weighed whether or not to talk through the math but, hey, why not, I feel like I owe you for that education about strife, so let's keep this good thing going.

Let's say, perhaps generously, it takes 3 seconds to move your hand from the keyboard, mouse over to 'import' make your selection and return your hand to the keyboard, wherein you can use the clearly superior shortcuts. 4 Panes, 12 seconds per .ptx. I'm doing on average, lets say maybe 15-20 records a year plus maybe 10-15 films? Films are let's say, 20 cues on average? (this is a low estimate but I'm making up for the 3 seconds bit) and a record, on average, is 10 tunes. This is notwithstanding the one-off stuff that come in from other studios, mix only gigs, additional production or programming gigs, rescores, trailers, etc

SO

15 records x 10 songs = 150 x 12 seconds = 1800 seconds = 30 minutes
15 films x 20 cues = 300 x 12 seconds = 3600 seconds = 1 hour

That safe estimate is an hour and a half of my life every year!

Now, I was a 2x full time employee of various studios in NYC and beyond for about 7 years, and have now been freelance for the last 8, doing between 80-100 hours a week

SO

1.5 hours x 15 years = A MILLION FREAKING YEARS BC HYPERBOLE IS A HILARIOUS COMEDIC DEVICE

In all seriousness, I am kidding about all of the above but you shouldn't be a meanie to strangers on the internet. You don't know me, you don't know my life, and you don't know a single fbomb thing about the hardships that I've endured that make me the man I am today. Moreover, when you are as busy as I am (as are many of the users in this forum), what seems to be a tiny issue, truly does aggregate into a massive time suck over the course of a career. Think about the top flight guys that only mix! EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. THEY. TOUCH. A. SONG. Their poor assistant has to endure that insane machine from princess bride as it sucks 12 seconds off of his/her life.

Though, you do make an excellent point, I am about to get the battlestar galactica's favorite homonym expletive on with my day, year, and life. Be well and please enjoy the garden state.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 PM

WOW.
That is the most enjoyable post on the DUC i've ever read!
Thank you, bdbender!

Jack, I think you needed that.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM

Default Incredibly simple feature request / the crushing weight of my own ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbender View Post
..... you shouldn't be a meanie to strangers on the internet. You don't know me, you don't know my life, and you don't know a single fbomb thing about the hardships that I've endured that make me the man I am today. Moreover, when you are as busy as I am (as are many of the users in this forum), what seems to be a tiny issue, truly does aggregate into a massive time suck over the course of a career.......
Awesomeness
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
WOW.
That is the most enjoyable post on the DUC i've ever read!
Thank you, bdbender!

Jack, I think you needed that.
Not really - I just don't see this as an issue worthy of action on the part of Avid, especially when there are so many other more important things in PT that need attention. The original post all sounded like yuppie whining and hyperbole.

And to the op - as far as spending time on the internet in forums if you'd look at the time stamps on my posts for the most part they are very early in the morning East Coast US time (anywheres from 6AM to maybe 9AM) before i get to work.

QAPLA!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The original post all sounded like yuppie whining and hyperbole.
Wait, so you did get it and you're just a grumpy gus?

This I can promise you: I'll never even take the time to figure out how I could begin to look at your timestamps, but it's 5:30 on the west coast and I'm still up rendering files so I figured I would spin you another yarn as a digestif for your sausage egg and chee during your AM constitutional under the bridge.

Remember when they added the new playlist shortcuts? PT 9 I think? Remember how that seemed pretty cool until you actually got it under your fingers and then it became the reason you could always say 'yes' to even the fastest vocalist? Remember how much smarter and better at your job you felt? It was just a little shortcut but Avid had the vision to see a universal issue for the entire userbase and address it. And, thankfully, this new shortcut began it's life into robust framework, so it was as simple to implement as finding a shortcut that wasn't A) already in use in an active script in the software or B) a generally, generically assigned used shortcut in the OS and C) have a couple emails and maybe a meeting.

'hey you guys, what about control backslash?'
'oh, yea cool, that isn't anything'
'dig it'

and we hemmed and we hawed and we checked the the good ol compato (who still remembers that url?) but, ultimately, we snagged it and it was good.

I'm just hoping that on the second day of christmas, my true love will give me the frykkyn one frykkyn shortcut I need to complete the collection so I don't have to touch the stupid stinky mouse while I important the stupid stinky prefs, I'm already using the mouse enough when I check my iPhone and iPad, that software just isn't ready to leave the mouse HUI format behind.

'Yuppie' is also a pretty big assumption. based on what? That I can write well and take the time to do it? I guess mr show is pretty upper middle class, premium cable and all.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbender View Post
...what about control backslash?'
It could be Ctrl I (Cmd I) for Import Settings and Ctrl E (Cmd E) for Export Settings. Like Ctrl N for new path.
When this window is open, those shortcuts are not in conflict to any others.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060