Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra Windows crashes

I have a Fast Track Ultra interface. The hardware still works fine, but the driver appears to still have bugs.

I can't say how much I appreciate that Avid is still willing to invest in driver updates for a relatively old device. So in the interest of further improvement, I'd like to offer up some information. I'm a software developer, and I'm mainly addressing this to the driver developers, in case they might be interested in obtaining a crash dump file that I have from the most recent crash.

I don't even have a DAW installed - I'm just using it to play music for now.

Ever since I pulled the Fast Track out of mothballs a year or two ago and set it up to use with newer computers, I've been getting not-infrequent blue-screen crashes. I've been following the Avid support site and trying new drivers when they become available, but I'm still having the same problem, with multiple computers. I haven't been able to correlate it to any activity or conflicting software - my best guess is that it happens when there's a power glitch, or maybe static electricity, or a cable gets jostled.

I just acquired a used laptop that's a year and a half old and set it up, with the latest Windows driver download from Avid (6.1.10 Oct 10, 2014). After using it for a few days with the FT Ultra plugged in, the other day I got another crash. I wasn't sitting at the computer, and the only thing I was doing with it was playing some music from MP3 files. After it crashed, I grabbed the MEMORY.DMP crash dump file from C:\Windows and opened it in the Windows Debugger (WINDBG). WINDBG's analysis says that the fault was caused by the M-Audio driver.

I'm not interested in pursuing this further myself, but if the developer team would like the crash file for analysis, I can upload it and share it.

Here are the specs of my current system:
Computer: HP Envy dv4-5243cl
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M, 2.50 GHz

Let me know if you're interested in the file, or other information, and thanks again for maintaining this product.