Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Default PT10 running out of Buffer size for Komplete 8

I just upgraded to a Mac Pro 12 Core with 16 gigs on the desk, loaded PT10.3.3, Main Mac HD Drive.
Loaded Komplete 8 Ultimate on 2nd bay drive (2TB),
Created a session in PT10 using "instrument" tracks and inserted Kontact from Komplete and had the buffer size set to 1024. 85%
Got an error stating I needed to increase the buffer. I am already maxed out at 1024. I only had Kontact inserted on one channel strip. This happened on my previous Mac but I am guessing its a PT software issue where I run out of room to run the plugin package.
Anyone have suggestions?
2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
1 TB on Main HD
2 TB each on 3 Internal HD's (32 cache, 7200 rpm)
(total 7 gigs of storage)
16 gigs Memory
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Default Re: PT10 running out of Buffer size for Komplete 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioneProStudio View Post
I just upgraded to a Mac Pro 12 Core with 16 gigs on the desk, loaded PT10.3.3, Main Mac HD Drive.
Loaded Komplete 8 Ultimate on 2nd bay drive (2TB),
Created a session in PT10 using "instrument" tracks and inserted Kontact from Komplete and had the buffer size set to 1024. 85%
Got an error stating I needed to increase the buffer. I am already maxed out at 1024. I only had Kontact inserted on one channel strip. This happened on my previous Mac but I am guessing its a PT software issue where I run out of room to run the plugin package.
Anyone have suggestions?
how many hard disks in total and what make/model/spec?

Which hard disk is the audio session stored on?

Darryl
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM

I have a total of 4 bays with 1 TB in bay 1 (main HD), 2 TB each in bays 2-4,
I have my audio PT sessions running and stored on bay 3 and my plugin Komplete 8 Ultimate on Bay 2, so I am not running my audio sessions on the same HD as the plugins. I believe the make on the HD's are SATA's.
thanks
1 TB on Main HD
16 gigs Memory
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have a total of 4 bays with 1 TB in bay 1 (main HD), 2 TB each in bays 2-4,
I have my audio PT sessions running and stored on bay 3 and my plugin Komplete 8 Ultimate on Bay 2, so I am not running my audio sessions on the same HD as the plugins. I believe the make on the HD's are SATA's.
thanks
OK just wanted to make really sure you samples are not on the audio drive.

What matters is the drive RPM, the exact drive info can be found with the System Information utility. What does it say under "Serial-ATA"? You can cut and past that info here. Explain on which of the drives listed there the samples are stored.

Some other things to try...

Double check your audio/session fiels really are not on the sample drive, its a mistake that is easy to make (e.g. make sure the media is inside the session files and its not linking to media files on the sample or boot drive).

Make sure you have done all of the standard systems optimizations (described under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page) -- especially you should disable Spotlight indexing on *all* drives (disabling on sample and audio/session drives is very important).

Are you using KMS (Kontakt memory server?) (try turning it off).

How many processors are set in Kontact? (set it to one just to try).

In Setup>Playback Engine set the #RTAS processors to some low number just to get things running, like say 2 @99%.

NI products tend to be very problematic as you know, you can search their forums and others for ideas as well.

Darryl
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Thank you for all this feedback. Here are the answers:

All HD's are 32 cache @ 7200 rpm

PT10 is on the main MacHD Drive
Kontact is on its own dedicated internal HD
Audio PT Sessions are on their own internal HD
(so there is no conflict there)

I did do all of the standard optimizations but I will re-check that I covered all.

I added all HD discs to "no indexing" in Spotlight.

Don't know how to check about the KMS, in where to look to turn it off or if I am using the server. I am thinking you are meaning that I get automatic updates from the NI site? I'm a little green on this one.

Processors in Kontact? I am not sure what you mean on this one. I know that
"the Mac" has 12 processors and I am running on one below at 11.

Will give it a shot to change to 2 processors @ the 99%, and what about the buffer size? I have it set to 1024 to process the plugins. However, a thought occurred to me that maybe I should bring down the buffer size when tracking (duh), I usually max the buffer only when I am mixing. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Also will check through NI's site to see what they also have.

Thanks again for your take on this.
1 TB on Main HD
16 gigs Memory
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Default PT10 running out of Buffer size for Komplete 8

NI Kontakt is one of the more complex and demanding VIs. You really need to know your way around it, read the manual etc. and get it set up correctly. Personally I use other drum VI that are simpler to setup and less demanding on the system.

Here is a link to get started with http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...e+of+KONTAKT+5. I will admit to being confused, I also thought the Kontakt (own internal) multiprocessor support might be automatically disabled for Pro Tools I don't have a Kontakt on a system here to check with.

Darryl
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all this feedback. Here are the answers:

All HD's are 32 cache @ 7200 rpm

PT10 is on the main MacHD Drive
Kontact is on its own dedicated internal HD
Audio PT Sessions are on their own internal HD
(so there is no conflict there)

I did do all of the standard optimizations but I will re-check that I covered all.

I added all HD discs to "no indexing" in Spotlight.

Don't know how to check about the KMS, in where to look to turn it off or if I am using the server. I am thinking you are meaning that I get automatic updates from the NI site? I'm a little green on this one.

Processors in Kontact? I am not sure what you mean on this one. I know that
"the Mac" has 12 processors and I am running on one below at 11.

Will give it a shot to change to 2 processors @ the 99%, and what about the buffer size? I have it set to 1024 to process the plugins. However, a thought occurred to me that maybe I should bring down the buffer size when tracking (duh), I usually max the buffer only when I am mixing. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Also will check through NI's site to see what they also have.

Thanks again for your take on this.
First off make sure you have Kontakt updated through the Service Center to the latest version which provides AAX support. Actually make sure ALL your NI stuff is updated through the Service Center.

Kontakt has it's one memory server (KMS) that's accessible in Kontakt's own preferences panel. Manual reading is suggested; the documentation is on the drive that NI sent as part of K8 Ultimate. Run with KMS off. You will have to restart Kontakt if you make a change to the memory server. Also run Kontakt 5 with only 1 processor; i.e. turn of multi-processor support in Kontakt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
NI Kontakt is one of the more complex and demanding VIs. You really need to know your way around it, read the manual etc. and get it set up correctly. Personally I use other drum VI that are simpler to setup and less demanding on the system.

Here is a link to get started with http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...e+of+KONTAKT+5. I will admit to being confused, I also thought the Kontakt (own internal) multiprocessor support might be automatically disabled for Pro Tools I don't have a Kontakt on a system here to check with.

Darryl
Kontakt's memory server will run even in PT if it's set to run. I have the feeling that K8's prefs are essentially the same whether standalone or in a daw like PT.

QAPLA!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM

When you say Kontakt is on it's own drive, I assume you just mean just the sample libraries, not the actual program, correct? Because the actual program should be on your main system drive. If this is not the case, that would explain some of your problems.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM

Yes I did get all new updates thru service center so that is up to speed. Will definitely check and re-read manual. I was more concerned that PT10 was having issues with Kontact, but I am sure with everyone's feedback, I will find the answer.
Thanks to all.
1 TB on Main HD
16 gigs Memory
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
When you say Kontakt is on it's own drive, I assume you just mean just the sample libraries, not the actual program, correct? Because the actual program should be on your main system drive. If this is not the case, that would explain some of your problems.
Yes, actual program is on the main and libraries on their own dedicated internal HD.
1 TB on Main HD
16 gigs Memory