Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2001, 10:19 AM

Default TDM compatibility & DP 3.0

Anyone using DP 3.0 with the 001? I'm drooling over the features. Also, can you use the UA card with that setup? That would be a lot of power. I'm happy with PTLE but, the grass is always greener with surround, unlimited tracks , tons of plugs, etc.
Despite the advertised TDM compatibility, going back and forth between a TDM studio and PTLE is a frustrating thing-it's one way compatibilty in many ways. I'm wondering now that DP 3.0 can export to PT 5.1, would these sessions be more transferable than LE sessions? In an ideal world, you'd want the ability to work on sessions in both environments without losing any work, and be able to hear the work that has been done. At this point it's either fork out for a tdm setup or go DP or Logic and forget about compatibility-or is it? All replies appreciated.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:59 AM

Default Re: TDM compatibility & DP 3.0

The PT import/export is OMF and you have to use Digitranslater (with PT) in order to use it. Its not "native" PT file format..but OMF.
Works though.

I haven't recieved my copy of DP 3 yet. But, have been following early reports of those who did. Seems pretty solid.

Couple of bothersome things..one is..you still can't group audio tracks and edit them..such as..select several audio tracks..and trim the edges of all at once.

Supposedly..it's planned for next major release. Bummer.

Reports of DP 3.0 on MP Macs looks awesome!
One reader reported..that a DP 2.7 session that used 90% cpu on his G4 400..uses about 30% on one cpu..and 25% on the other..of a dual 533! This was about 30 tracks of audio with sense edits..lots of automation and some pretty heavy plugs.

As far as plugs and plugin usage...Waves still hasn't got automation for Mas in Waves 3.x. They also had some nasty problems with the inital 3 release..that caused lots of crashes. They are mostly stable now..but..still waiting on the plugin automation for wAves on MAS...other plugs..channel strip..etc..have automation and work great. So, Im not sure here..how that would effect a PT session going back and forth thru OMF to DP at this time. But..thats a question to ask.."does the OMF export/import included plugin automation?"

Early reports of the powercore..powered plugs..was not great. It ran the plugs fine..and..latency wasn't bad at all..but..just the PCI card..ie..once you open one powered plug..used 50% cpu. Thats the overhead. After that..it works as advertised..I mean..you can load up a boat load of heavy TC plugs..and the card will run them...but the overhead for the system is just..way out of line. Supposedly..they, TC , are working on it..but..right now..most early purchasers..who are using MAS..aren't that thrilled with it. The one from UA looks much more promising. We'll see.

I have't heard much about the surround sound in DP 3..as this is all brand new..and..people seem to be still figuring it all out.

A good resource for DP info..including the latest 3.0 is http://www.unicornation.com. Check the list archive..and the ubb forum.

Thats it for now..

dcornutt
Old 07-18-2001, 07:08 PM

Default Re: TDM compatibility & DP 3.0

Thanks for the reply. THat overhead sure puts a crimp in power core. Also thanks for the link to motu. It seems that DP users have their own set of gripes. Oh well.