Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2022, 01:23 PM

Default MTRX summing sources

Hi,

Out of nowhere, the MTRX where I work is not managing the sources correctly. For example, let say I have something on source 4. In summing mode, if I activate source 1 (with no sound from it), it doubles the output of s4 (with a higher volume on the right channel). If I unselect s4, no more sound. But then, if I activate s1 and s2 (still with no sound from those sources), I hear the sound from s4.

Also, even with the monitoring on cut, there's a leek in one of the outputs.

I've rebooted the MTRX 2 times, looked at my settings in DADman, I see nothing wrong. The same setup was working great last week.

Did that happen to anybody here?

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 04-25-2022, 01:42 PM

Default Re: MTRX summing sources

Ok, it seems that the monitor profile was corrupted. I loaded an older profile and the problem is gone.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:39 PM

Strange timing.
Just last week this happened on one of our systems.
And the solution was manually reloading a profile (the autoload on restart did not fix it.) The user was originally blaming Dante (because many of the sources are Dante) but it clearly had something to do with internal routing on the MTRX that had gone wrong.

I have never experienced this on my home system so I'm wondering what the common factor is. That system was a Mac Pro 7,1 running DADman 5.5. All firmware the latest. The MTRX itself has 5 digilink add-on cards (it is hooked to 3 systems with 4 digilink connectors per system) but the DADman/profile is only loaded from one system. All the systems run macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina).
Is any of this similar to your system?

(since reloading the profile fixed it, at one point the thought was the profile was on a network drive but it turned out we never did that so the profile was loading from a local drive)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:38 AM

No Dante here in our config. The firmware is on the latest version too. Very strange bug.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
Hi,

Out of nowhere, the MTRX where I work is not managing the sources correctly. For example, let say I have something on source 4. In summing mode, if I activate source 1 (with no sound from it), it doubles the output of s4 (with a higher volume on the right channel). If I unselect s4, no more sound. But then, if I activate s1 and s2 (still with no sound from those sources), I hear the sound from s4.

Also, even with the monitoring on cut, there's a leek in one of the outputs.

I've rebooted the MTRX 2 times, looked at my settings in DADman, I see nothing wrong. The same setup was working great last week.

Did that happen to anybody here?
Did you auto-load the monitor profile or did you load it manually?

Did you auto-load the settings file?

Which version of DADman do you use?

@BScout, you are also welcome to answer the second question.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post

Our settings are to auto load settings and profile last used on the main computer (that runs DADman 5.5).
Manually loading the DADman profile (same profile that was set for auto-load) is what fixed it.

I haven't experienced this routing/summing error on any of our other DADman/MTRX/AX32 systems. This also happens to be the only system with digilink option cards installed. Only difference I could see between it and the other systems.

Observing what was happening (4 multichannel sources to 1 multichannel output and then 3 other monitor setups of the same sources but going to different outputs -- these were headphones), the input sources were showing correct metering for input. It was only the output sum showing/outputting incorrectly. On all 4 different monitors. (First multichannel monitor out was AES, three other sets went to Dante stereo)
Old 04-27-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post

Auto-load for both, settings and monitor profile, with DADman v 5.5.0

Old 05-03-2022, 06:04 AM
Avid

Greetings,

In situations like these, I've found it often productive to create a fresh Monitor Profile and use Settings > Monitor Profile > Import from profile to bring existing elements into the new profile.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-03-2022, 10:40 AM

Thanks Jeff for your input!

Old 05-07-2022, 10:53 AM

This bug exists for a very long time. It cannot be reproduced each time but it happens randomly and causes incorrect channel information sent by the MTRX.
This video illustrates it at the time I caught the bug taking a place:
1. Play a tone in PT and pan it to the Lsr only.
2. In the DADman the Digilink Source is NOT "on" but the signal goes to the Rss(!!!!) Channel in DA section (instead to be muted)!!! There is no such paths anywhere in the MTRX ST.
3. The only thing which fixes this anomaly behaviour is going to the "monitor profile configuration" tab and toggling "Enable monitor" option' which returns the MTRX ST to a normal state.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/zRUrsVyuAHw

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24