Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Re: when pt9 64bit? free?

I hope some users won't be disappointed when PT64 is made. You won't see much speed differences in audio processing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#32-_vs_64-bit

HD digital video, yes. Audio, no.

Those who use massive amounts of VI may see some improvements but so will the addition of software like Vienna.

If you don't use a lot of VI's, I doubt if you will see any noticeable difference.

"So, what’s the bottom line here? Well, it’s that there are times when breaking the 6GB barrier does offer some compelling advantages, but these are restricted to certain applications (for example, Photoshop, VMware Workstation if you run multiple virtual machines with lots of RAM).

Unless you have a specific need for fitting more than 4GB of RAM then chances are that you don’t need any more and won’t really gain much from fitting it.

Side note: What you do notice from stepping up from 2GB to 4GB to 8GB to RAM is that with each step the hard disk is being thrashed less and less because there’s less for the swap file to do. Relying less on a swap file does make the system feel perkier overall, but the actual effect on performance is, as we’ve seen, small.

More RAM doesn’t always mean better performance."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/t...rformance/2354
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM

I have to disagree with Park...

Moving to a 64-bit processor may not dramatically improve the performance of Pro Tools; it is the access to more memory that will give a huge performance improvement.

More VI's and larger sample sets can be loaded into memory without issues, and for many Pro Tools users this will dramatically improve their workflow.

For somebody just tracking audio the performance may not be dramatically improved, although access to additional memory would allow enhancements to Pro Tools that might not have been possible with current memory constraints.

Of course, applications will need to be coded to take advantage of the larger memory set and enhanced processing power...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah I honestly haven't ever hit the 4GB wall with my rig, but I do see the advantages it could offer. And a total rebuild of PT down to it's core could/should lead to a "lean mean processing machine", or at least that's my hopes.

Honestly now that they've added ADC and upped the I/O to 32 I'm good for a while. So I'm in no rush to see a 64-bit version. But as OSes are moving 64-bit, most CPU's are there, and over 4GB of ram is quickly becoming the norm, why not. It's inevitable anyways. And as mentioned if a rebuild of PT makes it more stable and more powerful I'm all for it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
My Guess is that a 64 bit version will get us rid of all those Processor and buffer errors eventhough it just affects RAM but the whole interface will run much smoother and quicker
Dream on...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Well I tell you this - whatever the 'will they won't they posts' - they are long overdue at making this happen, and the competition has already got there. Every single day now they are losing dedicated PT advocates to other 64 bit hosts. I for one will not wait until 10 - Logic is looking more and more attractive to me. And I won't want to make the change back once I get used to it. Whatever the reason - what is it by the way? - Avid - get your act together quickly. This could define the future of PT....or it's demise.... Customer first - and we demand it. Tony.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yeah I honestly haven't ever hit the 4GB wall with my rig,
Try 10 instances of AutoTune and a few Altiverbs, it'll fill up before you know it.
Scenarios like these may not be needed often but when you need them you NEED them! It's good to know that Avid is on it.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Exclamation Re: when pt9 64bit? free?

A problem that we seem to face is that the software doesn't just get upgraded and everything else stays the same. Rather, the hardware specs are changing over the years at the same time that software is changing, so it's almost as if we will never be able to say "All hail the king" because when one changes, the other changes, and so we'll never have it exactly how it should be.

An example is when Universal Audio released the UAD-2 card. At first, everybody was so excited (I mean we still are) because we'd convinced ourselves that we'd have more DSP power. Problem was, newer advances on the plugin side was being made at the same time the hardware was being upgraded, and so what you have are plugins that take up 800% more DSP than from years passed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining because the quality improves as well. I'm simply mentioning that when we get something that's supposed to give us more power, they always make the software a lot more power hungry, and so we never really get more power.

It's like a perpetual upgrade cycle that the software and hardware companies who are in bed with each other play.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneOuse View Post
Try 10 instances of AutoTune and a few Altiverbs, it'll fill up before you know it.
Scenarios like these may not be needed often but when you need them you NEED them! It's good to know that Avid is on it.
I'm definitely not trying to say a lot people don't hit the wall. Just saying I don't very often. I have on occasion done it, but rarely enough it's not a major concern for me. At least yet. I'm sure one day it will become a more common problem. Maybe by then pt will be 64-bit, so it still wouldn't be an issue for me. That's why I hope the transition is sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
I hope some users won't be disappointed when PT64 is made. You won't see much speed differences in audio processing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#32-_vs_64-bit

HD digital video, yes. Audio, no.

Those who use massive amounts of VI may see some improvements but so will the addition of software like Vienna.

If you don't use a lot of VI's, I doubt if you will see any noticeable difference.
I often got told this although I found this whitepaper on 64bit audio processing on cakewalk's site - http://www.cakewalk.com/x64/whitepaper.asp , which was a bit of an eye-opener, it mentions the increased number of registers (which that wiki article also talks about in the pros/cons section) and how this can sometimes give up to a 30% boost in processing power, at least with sonar. And that will have been talking about a much earlier version of sonar since that article's 5 years old.

Personally, 64bit is an important thing for me anyway, once you're running an addon pack for superior drummer, then get pianos and orchestral samplers involved, you're hitting a RAM wall before you even get to your other plugins. Even if it could host RTAS in a seperate process on X64 OSes that would be a significant gain as you'd get 4Gb per plugin (if there is any way of doing this in PT9 btw please let me know! ).

To be honest the only reason I'm even using pro tools 9 right now is my university is an Avid training partner and it's the 'industry standard'. I require something akin to drum maps as well as proper input monitoring for my personal projects, let alone 64bit native processing.
Quad core i7 930 OC @ 3.8Ghz - Asus P6T x58 mobo
12Gb Corsair 1400mhz RAM - HD7950 3GB GPU
700w PSU - Antec Solo case
3x 1TB Samsung Spinrite HDD
2x 22" monitors + 24" 120Hz monitor
Interfaces:
M-Audio Profire 2626/Behringer ADA-8000 & M-Audio Studiophile BX8s
MIDI/Control
M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd Gen, Nocturn, Launchpad Behringer FCB1010 & Alesis DM10 Studio with mesh heads

Last edited by God_made_me_do_it; 02-03-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: missing link