Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-04-2000, 03:24 PM

Default How to buy plug-ins in Britain

This one goes out the (possibly few) people in the British Isles who use this site. I need some help in buying some plug-ins in Britain but I'm having trouble finding good prices. What I'm really after is the Wave Gold Bundle (for the 001) and I've noticed that in the US there are many sites selling the bundle for, say, 700 to 800 dollars. I'd much rather not risk the shipping and find an equally good price in England but most places want to sell it for £1k or just over. Oh yes, it is pricey.
Any help would be much appreciated.

DJ
Old 12-05-2000, 04:30 PM

Default Re: How to buy plug-ins in Britain

yo homey (well, your a few hundred miles away)
Buy Sound On Sound Magazine, it will surely have a store near you advertised. Also its a bloody good magazine.
Being a gordie, youll need all the help you can get

(only kidding)
PTLE 5.1.1
--------------------
PB G4 867
256MBRAM
PT FREE
Old 12-06-2000, 01:00 AM

It's a bummer, isn't it. You're not going to find any UK supplier who can match the prices you see. To be fair, it's a double wammy as the distributors will often increase prices when the pound is weak but never drop then when it strengthens.

Don't forget to add in the US sales tax and then add the VAT on top. Secure shipping for a software package from the US is about £50... This will often reduce (but not eliminate!) the huge price differences.

Another place you might look is Musicians Gear (a German on-line site - http://www.musicians-gear.com ).

Where have you seen prices for the Gold Bundle for $800? I wouldn't be too worried about ordering from the US. You're insured when you pay by credit card and use a reliable shipping agent (UPS etc). You can always ask here if people have had good/bad experiences with the shop beforehand.

Hope that helps,

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-10-2000, 07:34 PM

www.bombfactory.com
why not download direct and pay the manufacturer?
Old 12-10-2000, 08:09 PM

I would also like to buy some plug-ins for LE but don't know what to go for. They are definitely too expensive. I have considered switching to Cubase or Logic to gain access to VST effects which, cost-wise, range from cheap shareware stuff to full whack profesional prices. I know that shareware doesnt equate to quality but at least there is the choice.

The same goes for virtual instruments. I love the idea of an integrated sampler like Emagic have released for logic. Is there any software like this available for LE.

The thing is I like LE's interface and dont want to change to something else as I am just getting the hang of it.

Any recomendations? How about GRM tools?

Also, speaking about Sound-on-sound, although the magazine is great, in the review of the DigiOO1 they didnt tell us that some of the plug-ins were only demo's. Something which I am not too pleased about
Old 12-10-2000, 08:14 PM

I would also like to buy some plug-ins for LE but don't know what to go for. They are definitely too expensive. I have considered switching to Cubase or Logic to gain access to VST effects which, cost-wise, range from cheap shareware stuff to full whack profesional prices. I know that shareware doesnt equate to quality but at least there is the choice.

The same goes for virtual instruments. I love the idea of an integrated sampler like Emagic have released for logic. Is there any software like this available for LE.

The thing is I like LE's interface and dont want to change to something else as I am just getting the hang of it.

Any recomendations? How about GRM tools?

Also, speaking about Sound-on-sound, although the magazine is great, in the review of the DigiOO1 they didnt tell us that some of the plug-ins were only demo's. Something which I am not too pleased about
Old 12-11-2000, 02:23 AM

Hi DJ Burt

The best and cheapest place to buy any ot hsi stuff, if you insist on buying it in England, is Media Tools (part of Soho Soundhouse or Turnkey) They have the full range and usually ship it to you for next day.

But you should buy everything on the net. It's no less safe than handing your credit card over in a pub and you can generally download it there and then.

Any users in South West England?
Old 12-11-2000, 11:53 AM

Cheers people, much appreciated.

DJ