Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Thumbs down CPU Usage warnings with Drumagog... impossible...

Hello guys!

I am very new to PT9 having only just picked it up this weekend, everything is great, im a hundred times more productive in this daw when compared to cubase!

So i have hit my first snag today, when using drumagog 5 platinum i can no longer play more than 2 seconds of a track where drumagog 5 is being used, i keep getting the cpu warning issue.

Now, my CPU is the corei5 2500k sitting nicely at 3.4ghz i refuse to believe that this is not capable, so i think it may be hdd right? well, im running sata 3 6gb/sec SSD @300mb read... memory? 16gb ram at 1600! As i sit here typing this the RTAS usage is hitting my cpu at 85%......... starting to get a little annoyed at this.

I have tried different buffering setting to take the load off the cpu and put it onto disk, no improvement, PT9 windows tweaks are all done to get it working, oh and the computer has 2x 1gb gddr5 graphics cards.

So, has anyone had similar issue? im going to kill PT9 now as i dont fancy leaving my cpu running to the hills, i'm a very impatient guy so if i can't figure a solution out for this it will be a full refund for me im afraid!

Any help is hugely welcome

Cheers

Mark (now off to the gym to vent this frustration!)
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Default Re: CPU Usage warnings with Drumagog... impossible...

Just had a closer look at things, everything runs fine, then as soon as drumagog 5 comes it, things start going crazy, let it run for 2 seconds then remove the plug-in, stop audio playback, then see the CPU RTAS monitor creep all the way up to 100%

I'll give drumagog 3 an install and see if this works any better, i would rather it be DG5 that pro tools!

Cheers
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Have you tried adjusting your Playback Engine settings for buffer, processors, and cpu usage? I have noticed lately when using some heavy RTAS plug-ins on my HD rig I have had to adjust these settings more often. In many cases I find it better to leave at least one of the processors available to the system, so if I have 4 processors, I generally leave it at 3. OTOH, I've found places where I had to set it to 4 to get enough power to the RTAS stuff. In the end, what I'm saying is make some adjustments and see what happens, if you haven't already.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Posting a Sandra report might help. Have you performed all the Windows 7 system tweaks?

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Hello,

In our own testing, here's what we found in a similar setup with PT9, Windows 7, with a slightly slower i5 (2.67) than you have, and a lot less ram (4gb):

2 instances of Drumagog 5 Platinum at 256 buffer size uses around 10% on the RTAS meter. It's definitely heftier than Drumagog 4 because Auto-Align 2.0 does a whole lot more work.

By the way, we run it (as some others suggested earlier) with Host Processors set to 1 less than total cores.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM

it is a bit of a hog but i usually just run 1 instance, record to audio and move it to the next place i need it.

its not exactly a plugin to leave running thru a mix.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

really sorry i didn't get back to you on this one.

Anyway, i have been using drumagog 4 at the things is absolutely rock solid, i have had no problems in weeks with it and multiple other plugins.

To be honest with DG5 i haven't even looked at updates etc as i was so happy with everything being solid with DG4 that i almost entirely forgot!

So for now, after experiencing the CPU creep up to 100% even when no audio was even started tells be i just had a buggy install of DG5, and confirms to me that PT9 is worth every penny! After around 1 month of use, i am already so much more productive than in Cubase, faster and neater, and this leads to tighter mixes, even after a week of first touching PT9!

Damn this stuff makes you sound good haha!