Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM

Default Mbox Out>Outboard Mixer(Tascam m-208)>Mbox in???

Hello All! Thanks for the opportunity to join this community, hope to be helpful in addition to receiving assistance!

Just purchased the MBox 2 Pro and a Tascam M-208 as an external mixer. I want to determine the best way to route audio out of my MBox, go through the Tascam mioxer and back in. The exact specific of wires is not where my grasp of the concept falls shorts. it's just I want to essentially use my software based programs (ie. a note/sample from FL Studio) to run out of the MBOX (acting as a soundcard) , go through the tascam to "get warm" then come back in for recording. Is this possible? If so, what is the best way? Let me know if that's not clear, and I can explain further. Can/should I have my existing soundcard be a line out, to the mixer, then back into mbox? Or, can you assign one of the line out from the mbox through the FL interface and then assign a pro tools channel to receive that (after going through the mixer)?

Any thoughts, similar setups? If not needed to be answered here, please re-direct me to a proper thread!

Thanks all!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Mbox Out>Outboard Mixer(Tascam m-208)>Mbox in???

Welcome to the DUC. What you are attempting is not really feasible with the Mbox, and not worth doing with LE anyway(my opinion as a 6 year Pro Tooler and engineer of over 25 years). If you really feel the need to "warm up" the signal somewhere, I would buy The Massey Tape Head plugin. Go here: http://www.masseyplugins.com/ and download the free demo and give it a try. Its not expensive(a lot cheaper than any mixer worth a hoot) and it will save you tons of hassle and hair pulling. You could also use a "character" mic pre on the way in(check out the Golden Age Pre 73).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM

thanks for the response...

I've used plugins, and eventually may settle that they are the best answer (as I am most familiar with them after all). I just want to try to route the sound out (so as I play individual samples, queued in FL Studio let's say; either out from 1 of the mbox outs or my original soundcard) into tascam mixer, the back to mbox (recorded on PT)

you said its not worth doing, but i'd ike to give it a shot. This mixer has a good warmness i'd like to utilize in capturing samples. Just trying to expand my methods of making beats, and integrating analog equipment. If people can offer a method of this routing (multiple suggestions would be great...)

Thanks all, hope we can get some good discussion on some methods!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM

bump... por favor? thoughts? innovative solutions? confirming what i said below? lol

THANKS!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM

The best solution is to buy a better interface like the 002 or 003 as those allow for inserts and can do exactly what you want(within the limits of dealing with the latency). Sending the entire 2mix or some stems out, thru the mixer and recording to a new stereo track renders the latency issue moot. Your new 2mix may not be aligned with the rest of the tracks, but it won't matter then. Just export your new stereo track as a stereo interleaved file.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave