Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Default RTAS in realtime monitoring latency?

Hi guys this is an easy one .... i think.

If set up an hd plug (trim) before an rtas I can then monitor it the rtas as I',m recording. My question is will HD adjust for the latency of the rtas plug? Or will it just be in the chain with the latency?

I am running 96 voices @ 64 samples on a 8 core. The lowest setting possible.

Many thanks tk.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM

Default Re: RTAS in realtime monitoring latency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Audio View Post
Hi guys this is an easy one .... i think.

If set up an hd plug (trim) before an rtas I can then monitor it the rtas as I',m recording. My question is will HD adjust for the latency of the rtas plug? Or will it just be in the chain with the latency?

I am running 96 voices @ 64 samples on a 8 core. The lowest setting possible.

Many thanks tk.
Hi,

ADC is disabled on tracks that are in record mode. so you will get the latency of the plugin/s processing time. TDM plugs have almost negligible latency on audio tracks but some RTAS plugs can be quite high and unfortunately you have to put the rtas plug after TDM (otherwise it will go into mute!) so the latency is increased.

you could probably play chords ok but i doubt you could play a guitar solo with such latency, but also depends on how low you can get your buffer and which RTAS plugs you use, you might get just 40-80 samples delay which is livable, but some plugs give a lot more and 4000 samples wouldn't be livable.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:51 AM

OK thanks that helps heaps.

Thanks Chrisdee for answer yet another q of mine!

One more question then

I am confused with how tool reacts to different settings as I am coming from Cubase.

If I have my settings to 256 samples 4 dsp's does that mean I will have a delay of 256 samples or the amount on compensation that tools adjusts for with a TDM plug?. I find if I track at 64 samples I get clicks and pops if start to drop plugs in.

Cheers TK.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Audio View Post
OK thanks that helps heaps.

Thanks Chrisdee for answer yet another q of mine!

One more question then

I am confused with how tool reacts to different settings as I am coming from Cubase.

If I have my settings to 256 samples 4 dsp's does that mean I will have a delay of 256 samples or the amount on compensation that tools adjusts for with a TDM plug?. I find if I track at 64 samples I get clicks and pops if start to drop plugs in.

Cheers TK.
Hi,

The smaller the buffer setting the more likely you'll get artifacts like clicks and pops. the plugins simply don't have the time to do the processing, so making the buffer bigger will give more time for the processing to take place.

The larger the buffer setting the more RTAS performance you get! but this increases the latency.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 AM

And: The number of DSPs is not relevant for the latency. It determines how much stress you put on the pci-bus. The more DSPs you allocate for the playback engine the less...

Kind regards

Mark
Old 10-23-2022, 04:45 PM

I suspect other users here (like me) are having problems following what you are doing and why you are doing it.

If I follow you (but please correct me) you are sending MIDI to Pro Tools (from a Cubase MIDI track?) and hosting a RTAS VI in Pro Tools HD? And then recording back the monitored audio into Cubase... I'm not following why? That is a messy setup. Pro Tools HD system is arguably a poor choice as a VIs host, why do you want to run RTAS VIs in it... and you've got Cubase why not host the VIs there?

If you are doing something different please explain.

And what latencies are you after , how many ms/or samples? What latencies are you getting now (actually measure it). I am not sure what you mean by 'groove' -- how small a latency do you expect/need? -- I want to make sure you have reasonable expectations. You cannot magically avoid the combination of I/O Buffer related latency in Pro Tools (one transit of the I/O buffer going to the TDM mixer in the case of a VI) and and any potential latencies from MIDI processing thats a very real time delay.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-24-2022 at 09:21 PM.