Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Default I have taken the M1 plunge

Made the switch from my 12core 2013 Trash Can to a new Studio Ultra, 64gb. I run HD native with an Omni, moving to a MTRX Studio later this year.

So far everything is good with my limited testing, done a few small commercial sessions with it. Most of my main plugins are working, and I am hoping the rest will come along quickly.

MKD Creative
Old 03-24-2022, 01:23 PM

Default Re: I have taken the M1 plunge

Thanks for everybody posting these experiences. Great stuff. If you get time it would be great to know what plugins are not working or not working well.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:01 PM

That I’ve noticed so far…

RX7/8 don’t work, only rolling with 9 at the moment
Rewire out of Soundminer is broken (heard rewire is completely broken but can’t verify)

Source Nexus requires latest paid update
Exponential Audio Stratus and Symphony aren’t compatible (recently included with Izotope Post bundle)
QL Spaces (part of EW scoring bundle) is not compatible and won’t load.

Some graphical issues/quirks with PT but May just be due to me using “classic”

MKD Creative
Old 03-24-2022, 04:05 PM

That's a bummer about Izotope's Exponential reverbs not (yet?) working, I use those all the time in mixes.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
That's a bummer about Izotope's Exponential reverbs not (yet?) working, I use those all the time in mixes.
There was a lot of talk about that last year. iZotope basically left them off their roadmap for Apple Silicon compatibility without actually saying they were ending support. Most people take that to mean it's time to find other reverbs. I did.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:44 PM

Latest plugin update from Avid means the water is now warm. Acon Digital have found an issues to some retina GUI issues I was having.

Coming from a 6 core trashcan, it is a thing of beauty. I do wonder how long it will take to have PT running natively, though power is not an issue with a M1 Max.

FYI - Resolve and Fairlight have now been running natively in Apple Silicon since day dot. Hopefully it isn't too much longer
Old 03-25-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
There was a lot of talk about that last year. iZotope basically left them off their roadmap for Apple Silicon compatibility without actually saying they were ending support. Most people take that to mean it's time to find other reverbs. I did.
That's too bad. It looks that all iZotope changed after buying Exponential from Michael is adding their logo and calling it version 3...
Out of curiosity, what did you find to replace a Stratus Surround (3d)?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 03-25-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
That's too bad. It looks that all iZotope changed after buying Exponential from Michael is adding their logo and calling it version 3...
Out of curiosity, what did you find to replace a Stratus Surround (3d)?
I'm a big fan of Liquid Sonics Cinematic Rooms and Lustrous Plates Surround. Both are 7.1.2 capable. I also use Acon Verberate Immersive.

A little different approach and controls than Stratus but they sound great. I have no inside info regarding Izotope but since they didn't commit to supporting them I didn't want to take a chance. Michael Carnes created such great reverbs it'd be a shame if they didn't use what they purchased from him.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:51 PM

Nice, keep us up to date of anything new you find working well, or not so much.

Izotope went from some support, but basically no support. AFAIK, trying to contact them is impossible.

Starting to wonder if the company is going to last. The v9 update was pretty uneventful. Nothing much to write about.
Ambi match is awful and doesn't work. Just like Dialog Match.

I am sure some people use it and love it. It just doesn't work for me and I haven't spoken to anyone who uses it in LA either.

With the sales they were having on the Exponential reverbs over the past couple of years, I was kind of suspecting something might be up with them.
And now it seems clear.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Izotope went from some support, but basically no support. AFAIK, trying to contact them is impossible.
From my experience iZotope support is pretty responsive. Last time I contacted them a month ago, they returned to me fast and helpful.
Also what makes no sense for me is that Apple in less than 6 months will me fully and only ARM'ed. This makes an accusation of EA a very limited investment. They should be closing the gap IMHO.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24

Last edited by mgoorevich; 03-26-2022 at 10:32 AM.