How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-30-2022, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Low Latency Monitoring in Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thin Ice is referring to the dual IO buffer architecture Pro Tools has had since Pro Tools 11, and that dual buffer behavior is all "automatic". If an audio path is in the "high latency" domain it's using the large disk playback buffer size that is 1024 or 2048 samples depending on sample rate, if it's in the "low latency" domain, i.e. is feeding a real time monitoring signal then it's using the IO Buffer size you set in the playback engine. This can be seen at times with the very low CPU overhead/good plugin processing if you don't have any tracks record armed or in input monitoring and no aux tracks feeding to a monitoring path. Then you can change IO BufferSize and it won't make any difference, but enable input monitoring on some tracks and stuff can behave very differently. But many sessions are not set up clean like that, especially not with aux tracks, so you may have low-latency domain stuff being used. This stuff was discussed on DUC a lot, oh a decade ago or so when it was implemented in Pro Tools 11.

All changing the IO buffer size lets you do is set the buffer size for paths where Pro Tools decides to use that, otherwise it's using the large "disk IO" buffer size.
Ok, I’m a little lost here. I didn’t know pro tools had a dual io buffer size architecture. Can you direct me to some info. Thanks
Old 07-30-2022, 06:02 AM

The dual buffer operation has never been written up cleanly by Avid. It really needed a good white paper as well as clear mention in the Pro Tools reference Guide. There are some DUC posts, articles and videos floating around, but not one authoritative clear document. Which is a pity, and super-weird, they could have made more of it and could have avoided a lot of confusion. If it was up to me I sure would be explaining core important stuff like this in documentation and also maybe putting hints in the UI what is happening instead of wasting resources making stuff like Pro Tools First, Avid Link, and other junk.

You will have to search the forums, as I mentioned a lot of discussion in the past around a decade ago. Google search will find it all with a site:duc.avid.com qualifier. Best posts were by likely by user "Bharath", a super helpful Avid Engineering manager before he bailed and joined Apple.

Start here. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362981
Old 07-30-2022, 06:42 AM

Thank you so much Darryl!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:03 AM

The best thing about this feature is that I don't really think about it. Just set your record buffer as low as you can and forget low latency monitoring, if you have a decent computer. We should be concentrating on making quality audio and not this sort of thing.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
The best thing about this feature is that I don't really think about it. Just set your record buffer as low as you can and forget low latency monitoring, if you have a decent computer. We should be concentrating on making quality audio and not this sort of thing.
Except you do need to think about this/understand stuff enough not to always be using some low-latency paths.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I'm helping a client set up his new system with PT Studio and a Lynx converter/interface, so we'll probably want to use LLM for his tracking sessions. I won't be able to get back onto his system until Friday, and I can't find a fully comprehensive list of feature comparisons between Studio and Flex online anywhere. Can anyone using Studio tell me if the "Allow Sends to Persist During LLM" option is available?
Yes, Persistent sends works.

If they can deal with the high latency you can just have them monitor through PT. I find that's fine for guitars and amp sims, but not for vocals, unless the vocalist is not picky and okay with the weird comb filtering that gets a lot worse after 2ms. At 64 buffer you're looking at 4-5ms with Lynx at 48kHz. Fine for guitars and drums, but really bad for vocal tracking.

I use a hybrid approach with LLM enabled and persistent sends used for FX and also for amp sims.

Here's what I mean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSanfXdpNyI
Old 07-31-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Except you do need to think about this/understand stuff enough not to always be using some low-latency paths.
Although I guess this only matters if you are running close to the limit on your system?
Old 08-03-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Thanks Matt!!!