How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 11R For Live Sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Frequency View Post
Well, some of the issues described, such as no stereo chorus and the 60ms delay when switching, probably wouldn't effect me much in the style I play.
I gigged 11R for about a year. I switched rigs with a MidiMate in Bank Mode. 60ms is .06 of a second which is about 1/16 of a second. Obviously if a pure constant tone was interrupted for .06 of a second it would be noticeable, but in the context of a rock band and needing to nearly instantaneously switch from let's say a clean to OD, .06 of a second is very fast and barely noticeable.

For the people that have complained in the past about the .06 second lag, I wonder in which mode they were switching?

I went from 11R to Kemper and gigged the Kemper. If you want massive lag, try switching the Kemper rig to rig in Browse Mode. That my friends is serious lag. I've since gone back to gigging a mic'd tube amp.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM

I have only used my 11R live when I owned it until 2012, and since I bought it again in March 2014. I always switch presets (I play mostly top40 stuff, so the need for many sounds is evident), I have always done that via MIDI, but never had problems with delays in switching. I have to say I don't switch during a held note or similar (if I had to I would try to solve that with my exp pedal and assign the necessary changes to that rather than switch the preset - but I would go that route anyway, with or without switching delay, since it is smoother).
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
I gigged 11R for about a year. .
What did you use for an amp/powerhead?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
What did you use for an amp/powerhead?
I ran one Main XLR mono direct out into mixer/PA amp. For a stage monitor I used a QSC K12.

As I mentioned in this forum in the past the only issue I ever had live (depending on the venue) was a classic "boomy" feedback. Eventually I cut the offending low frequency by applying the same para eq setting to all my rigs. I don't remember the offending frequency.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM

OK that helps. Can you recommend a foot switch? I don't need a lot of switches, maybe 4 switches and a pedal to which i can assign parameters would be nice. (I'm assuming the 11R lets you assign parameters to a pedal anyway)

I need something with nice, big switches (not like Line 6's tiny, crowded buttons for example)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
OK that helps. Can you recommend a foot switch? I don't need a lot of switches, maybe 4 switches and a pedal to which i can assign parameters would be nice. (I'm assuming the 11R lets you assign parameters to a pedal anyway)

I need something with nice, big switches (not like Line 6's tiny, crowded buttons for example)
I've gotten a lot of great use out of my Rocktron MidiMate. I used it with my 11R and now my Kemper. One of the things I like most about it is the fact it has an alpha/numeric LED display which allows you to name the rig/preset. In other words, at a gig instead of looking down at the floor and trying to remember what the hell preset #9 is, you can name the preset what you like. When I gigged the 11R I literally had over 30 different presets for different covers we play and I simply named the preset to the name of the song (or first word or two.) With the Kemper I've gone back to seven basic rigs and so it's, Clean, Clean 1, Crunch, OD, etc. Bottom line it's much easier than remembering a number.

I've only used the MidiMate in Bank Mode. In Bank Mode it switches from Rig to Rig. I've never used it in Controller mode (ability to switch on/off individual effects.)

The only negative thing I've heard people say about the MidiMate is the plastic stomp buttons but they don't bother me.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 AM

I run the 11R live with a Pod HD500 Pro in the 11R Send/Return.

The 'Output To Amp' on the front goes to the AC30 and I give the sound person the XLR output as a secondary channel. He/she can mix both or choose or if the amp suddenly died I could keep the show going direct. The 11R has a much better AC30 sim than the HD500. This approach has not failed.

I use the Ground Control Pro to switch. It can switch 8 devices on different MIDI channels. I actually run our theatre software from it in addition to the guitar effects. I send the Start cues with it.

The 11R has been great for me and with the HD500 is a much better cost to benefit ration than the AXE-FX.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Going direct to 2x Yorkville NX55P with matching sub: incredible sound. We add 1-2 Mackie SR1530 when we need more.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM

So is the 11R pre-loaded with the editor software that works in Protools, or is there an iLok authorized download, or what? I haven't seen anything saying the unit comes with a disk of software (not Protools software but the one that has the FX, stomps, amps, etc to run on your computer). I hope I'm making sense. I'm not totally sure what it is I'm asking for.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM

And to be clear this is just a rig editor to edit the Eleven Rack settings. It is not a bunch of plugins that run effects on your computer or with a DAW etc. (which it seems like you might be asking for). You don't need the editor to do anything, you can do it all via the front-panel, it just makes it easier to do things. And for live sound, you may not want a computer attached to your Eleven Rack, you more likely want a MIDI pedal board attached.