Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2000, 11:49 AM

Default error trying to open PT free

when I try to open ptfree, I get an error which says "driverserviceslib" could not be found. I reinstalled the system software with a clean install and reinstalled ptfree and oms, still get this error. any ideas?

using a powerbook 1400 w os 8.6
Old 10-27-2000, 07:04 AM

Default Re: error trying to open PT free

Am having the same problem on my G3
upgraded 8100 running OS 9.0.4.
Have not found a solution yet.
Let me know if you find out anything.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:22 AM
Administrator

I don't know about that error message, but I know quite a bit about the Powerbook 1400. I owned one for a couple of years, and it just is not a very good machine for digital audio. I was unable to launch Pro Tools PowerMix 4.3 on it. Digital Performer would open, but choked almost immediately. The only apps that I was able to use were Peak for 2 tracks, and maybe 4 very sluggish tracks using Vision/Studio Vision.
My research on the matter leads me to believe that it has more to do with the bus speed of the 1400 rather than the processor. Which probably means even getting one of the G3 upgrades for the 1400 would not have made it work well with audio apps.
I eventually sold it to a friend in my band that uses it for general purpose, midi and notation, not audio.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 10-28-2000, 12:05 AM

The Powerbook 1400 is only capable of a maximum amount of RAM of 64MB. In other words...

IMPOSSIBLE!

You wouldn't even be able to launch PT.
rob

Is it April 1st already?