Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Let's hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
So this is my band again, we went into our new project room (still not done and i think it shows in the product) with the intention of finding the bugs in the new room and writing some tunes.

Tune is called The Goo
Dayna Stephens is on Bass, Piano, and Tenor
Rick Rivera on drums
and I'm playing flugel and mixed it

http://www.brownaudio.com/remix/The%...%20192Kbps.mp3
Well done. I thought it quite listenable, with the sole exception of the percussion, which seemed to me like a dripping faucet. I don't know if the tap-tap was mixed a little heavy, or if I just heard it that way because it annoyed me. It was not up to the standard of the other instruments. Maybe that is the real/synthetic split. Overall, you have some nice jazz going on.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
So this is my band again, we went into our new project room (still not done and i think it shows in the product) with the intention of finding the bugs in the new room and writing some tunes.

Record latency bug with the 003 and lack of low latency monitoring via the octopre made this a very challenging session. this is one of the tunes I wrote that we will be re recording in January. We have some changes in mind but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Tune is called The Goo
Dayna Stephens is on Bass, Piano, and Tenor
Rick Rivera on drums
and I'm playing flugel and mixed it

http://www.brownaudio.com/remix/The%...%20192Kbps.mp3
Amazing! I love it!

Although, I do agree with razorboy about the drums. They seem much less groovy than everything else.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Just created a ReverbNation site for the studio. Check it out when you can. Fan it, etc. Lots of recent and older tunes on there to listen to.

http://www.reverbnation.com/monumentsound

Enjoy!
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Just created a ReverbNation site for the studio. Check it out when you can. Fan it, etc. Lots of recent and older tunes on there to listen to.

http://www.reverbnation.com/monumentsound

Enjoy!
Doc
Done.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 AM

Lovin all the tracks on here.

A new remix for a comp, please vote while ya there.

http://newsboys.heroku.com/49

Can't wait to hear more new stuff from you guys, this is my fav thread.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderrocker View Post
Amazing! I love it!

Although, I do agree with razorboy about the drums. They seem much less groovy than everything else.
heres the iTunes link for those who wish to support http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the...93?i=399348006

So i mentioned we had some challenges during the recording. Heres why the drums are kinda just a tad off. First and foremost we had to track this individually because low latency monitoring does/did not work with 8.0.3cs1 and the octopre. we use 14 inputs (nothing was DI or synth) that means that the 8 from the 003+ are the only ones that work with low latency mode. I hope this is fixed but ive been on the road and have not been back in this room after loding CS2 to see. Lack of low latency monitoring and the bug that puts audio on the track twice the buffer ahead of ware its supposed to be was a nightmare. So that right there i think took all the group feel out of the session. I felt and still think it sounds more like we were tracking a demo.

Other thing that was majorly annoying is that there was some kind of miscommunication with the contractor and the walls were left empty. My engineer is still learning and turned up the control room speakers. You can hear bleed through every track. That means that things that were recorded with a bit of latency could not be nudged back into the pocket. I really think thats the major problem with the drums. Its also why if you turn up the volume you can here some alternate sax takes and trumpet takes. Theres also a "yah" that comes from the control room at one point during the piano take.

So we will be going into my established room in the next couple months to re record this and the rest of the album that goes with it. With all those challenges i think it came out decent for what it is. it was supposed to be a test of the room and we found allot of problems to fix.

Our plan is to pull this single from internet stores when the album comes out and offer the album to those who purchased the single for $1 off.

Hope this post is a welcome break from all the PT9 drama and bs'ing. cant wait to get back home and unwrap my new mbox and see how well it will work with PT9HD.

----------------------------
FYI
drums were miced with
EV Omni (snare bottom)
Sterling ST-1 (snare top/hat)
senheiser MD241 MK1 (kick)
Rode NT5 matched pair (overheads)
using 003 pres w/ clock from octopre

Bass was miced with
U47 clone built by myself and fox audio research
NT5 pair near neck

Flugel used
sure beta98 and u47
sax u47

Piano
NT5 pair over strings
u47 underneath

piano went via octopre

so basically all budget gear. Whole session cost us the time we spent. no room fee no new mics no cost for electric or anything.

look forword to the album version it should be much better executed prob have about the same feel. Oh and most importantly I'll have a partner mixing the album with me.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Hi there,

I am wondering what you all recommend for music hosting sites, or whatever other means there are to upload original music, which I have no idea about. I'm at the point where I'm thinking about putting up some stuff that I'm working on and could use some advice in that department. BTW, I'm broke, so nothing fancy please. Quality is key though, and I've read naughty things about some sites retaining the rights to whatever you upload, which I again, have no idea about, but it doesn't sound too cool.

Thanks, Dave
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 AM

Here's some songs I was writing and developing earlier this year, I plan on redoing mostly everything over the coming months but would still appreciate some feedback and suggestions as to the development and mixing of the songs.

Cheers

Dan
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Heres Spoonbill at The Brewing Co's 1 year anniversary show at Velma's in SF. This was Spoonbills first show ever. I thought they did terribly well. This was recorded from our Mackie 1620 (non I version) and really makes me glad i didn't go out and trade up to the 1620i just to get mpowered compatibility now that 9 is out. My engineer forgot a shelf and you can hear the rolling low end bouncing around the room. This room seats 300 and is 2 stories upstairs looks down over the stage in the round. interesting place to play and record.

http://www.brownaudio.com/remix/spoo...g%20bounce.mp3
Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM

And heres one of the tunes my band played that same night. Fun night... drinks were flowin LOL

http://www.brownaudio.com/remix/little%20sunflower.mp3