Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-21-2022, 01:30 PM

Default M-Audio Code 49 HUI Help!

First post apologies for any noob mistakes. I've always had issues with Pro Tools when it comes to using MIDI controllers I must be misunderstanding something. I've done two days of digging online hoping to find a solution.

I just purchased an M-Audio Code 49. I own Pro Tools 11 and Reason 12. I am able to get the Keys to Note On/Off in pro tools without any configuration. This is great but doesn't help as I purchased a new controller for faders etc. I'm worried the Code 49 simply won't function as an HUI.

I have tried putting the 49 in HUI mode, gone Setup>Periph>MIDI Controllers and entered the info I was told to as per Sweet Water. Which is assigning an HUI Recieve from MIDIin3 and Send MIDIin3 with 8 channels.

This seems to accomplish nothing except cause an error window to pop up periodically and tell me that Pro Tools cannot communicate with the HUI and to recheck connections etc.

I'd love it if the transport worked and if the faders could be assigned to parameters in an instrument, but it seems to just not work... Which tells me I'm missing something.

I've tried just the USB cable, which works like above. I've tried having a Roland UM-ONE MIDI cable plugged in as well, no change.

Other Details:
Pro Tools 11.3
Behringer UMC404HD
Windows 10
Old 05-26-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Code 49 HUI Help!

I solved my issue and would like to share three things I learned for future users if anyone happens upon this thread via google.

The USB Cable and it's power supply. I understood it was important to ensure power to the USB but this is arguably the most important part. Don't be like me and think your otherwise functioning equipment is in working order. In this case, if you're having issues you'll want to be 125% sure the cable you are using to transfer data to your computer has all pins required. I'm no expert but the cable that came (second hand) with my Code49 seems different than another one I had at home. Fundamentally what was wrong was a consistent signal to Pro Tools, but it's, at first, confusing what the Code49 is trying to do.

#2MIDI OUT needs to be off! Wtf, that makes no sense? It didn't sink in when I read the Code49 Manual, but it does, in fact indicate that the MIDI IN/OUT is for controlling External MIDI. It implies, in theory, you only need a USB cable and need to tell the keyboard to send MIDI data down the USB line. This explains why it is OFF by default. Most users only want to use it to interface with a computer.

#3 Code49 does, in fact, communicate to Pro Tools via MIDI3 in HUI. In Reason 12, for example, the Code49 is going to want to communicate via MACKIE instead of HUI (which intuitively makes no sense to me) wheras Pro Tools will want you to set your Peripheral to HUI.

terms for future googlers: M-Audio Code49 Pro Tools HUI Mackie Unable to communicate potential fix