Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 12:29 PM

Default Placement Ideas for 61 or 88-key MIDI Keyboard With Argosy Halo Desk?

Hello all! I'm currently in the middle of renovating my home studio and we recently acquired the Argosy Halo desk. It's a very ergonomic desk and it houses our mixer and other gear very well. It has also helped us save lots of space. My one concern though is finding a good place to fit at least one good-sized (as in: 61 or 88-key) MIDI keyboard near the desk. The desktop surface itself has a large mixer and other gear on it, so the most I could fit on top of the desk is a small 25-key MIDI keyboard, which is less than ideal for me as a keyboardist/producer. I was wondering if anyone else owns the Argosy Halo desk and/or has any ideas for a stand that could perhaps go under the desk and pull out enough for clearance to play the keyboard in front of the desk? My original plan was to place a keyboard on a stand to the side of the desk and turn left or right to play, but there isn't enough space to the left/right of the desk to be housing larger keyboards on stands, as they would protrude into our walking space. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Aron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1609.jpg (65.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2022, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Placement Ideas for 61 or 88-key MIDI Keyboard With Argosy Halo Desk?

You should be able to fashion a sliding shelf for one. I'd feel better doing one with a 61 rather than 88 key simply for weight reasons. The Halo is not flat underneath and there's the cable tray to watch out for. But with a few pieces of wood I don't imagine it would be too difficult. There are probably some diy guides online. Just don't skimp on the rails, get a heavy duty set.

I've seen others have a separate stand that slides out but I haven't tried that. Just a standalone shelf on legs. Might be an option if you don't want to modify the desk. I don't know how they glide, maybe just some felt feet?
Old 05-29-2022, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Placement Ideas for 61 or 88-key MIDI Keyboard With Argosy Halo Desk?

I got a metal Keyboard stand and have it to left side
Admittedly it is not great for monitoring from the speakers so I use headphones when playing it

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...