Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Default HD Native and Magma Express Box1 (For laptops)

Hi,
I have a simple question: Will this combo HD native/magma work or even be supported?
Now that we know that "native" will anyway be "partly native" because you still need a card and an interface the question is why not a express card or something that makes this usable with more than a mac pro or a pc? I have my macbook pro like waiting for something like this...

Thank you.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Default Re: HD Native and Magma Express Box1 (For laptops)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
Hi,
I have a simple question: Will this combo HD native/magma work or even be supported?
Now that we know that "native" will anyway be "partly native" because you still need a card and an interface the question is why not a express card or something that makes this usable with more than a mac pro or a pc? I have my macbook pro like waiting for something like this...

Thank you.
See:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1678193&postcount=84
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

That's what I wanted to know.

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM

So this means I can build an HD native with the Native card the magma box and my rosetta with x-hd card right?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
So this means I can build an HD native with the Native card the magma box and my rosetta with x-hd card right?
Well, Avid don't test third-party interfaces. But presumably it will work. I'm using HD1 with Magma and an Apogee interface now and it works fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM

If Avid indeed tested and qualified the Magma ExpressBox1 for use with Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card, which version of Pro Tools software did they install?

Did they test it with Windows 7? If so, could they specify which Pro Tools Software release did they use to install?

Does Pro Tools 9 works with Windows7 for Pro Tools HD Natice PCIE card using ExpressBox1?

Does it matter which Laptop to use?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM

I would assume they tested it with PT9, because HD Native did not even start shipping until PT9 was released, and that was the plan all along. They announced it before PT9, but it was not scheduled to ship until 9 came out.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I would assume they tested it with PT9, because HD Native did not even start shipping until PT9 was released, and that was the plan all along. They announced it before PT9, but it was not scheduled to ship until 9 came out.
That is incorrect. Pro Tools HD Native ships with Pro Tools HD Native 8.5 and was released before Pro Tools 9.0.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM

I know it was announced/officially released, but I don't think it actually shipped until right around PT9. And anyone who bought it got a free upgrade to PT9. So for all practical purposes, it was pretty much made to coincide with PT9, which was my main point. Knowing how close it was with everything else, I'd be surprised if they did not test everything with PT9.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I know it was announced/officially released, but I don't think it actually shipped until right around PT9.
Pro Tools HD Native shipped before the announcement of Pro Tools 9.0. And the rest is conjecture.