Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Fade Files Not Calculated Properly

This has happened to me once before too. I prep a pro-tools session on a digi002, G5 w/DV toolkit and then when I re-open the session on a dub stage (G4 laptop/Mbox), every crossfade in my session is--how should i put this ?-- broken! They sound completely different and most of them 'pop' like a real bad edit. It looks like the waveform in the fade file hasn't been created properly. Usually all I have to do is double click on each fade to re-process them again and then it works and sounds like it did before....and the waveform enlarges back to normal.

I'm using the same drive on both systems and when I launch the session, it doesn't say that it's looking for any fade files. It opens just fine.

I hate to have this happen in a situation where someone else opens up a session of mine when i'm not around...I'd look like a crap music editor.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Fade Files Not Calculated Properly

Without knowing any of the details of your two systems, nor your work habits, let me make a suggestion based on how I work. Once you are ready to "deliver" your session to the dubstage, save session copy in... to another drive. This will do a few things for you.

First, it gives you an automatic back-up of your hard work. So if you drop your drive on the way to the stage, (which I have done and seen two others do) you still have your hard work on a drive at home. Which you will then save session copy again to a new drive for transport.

Second, it will guarantee that all of your media files are present with your session. I still get offline regions delivered to me on the dub stage. Nothing is more embarrassing, except dropping your drive while handing it to the stage engineer. Oops

Third, to directly comment on your issue, you can chose to not copy the fade files, which will force the stage system to re-render your fades, and based on your description, this should "get you around" your problem.

I know this does not directly solve your problem with the system inter-operability, but it may help. I would also suggest that the two systems have the same versions of software (PT and OS) installed, as I have seen weird things when opening a session on 6.4, then 6.7 and on to 6.9. Also try the digi trouble shooting post here.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 09-24-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Fade Files Not Calculated Properly

Quote:
...... every crossfade in my session is--how should i put this ?-- broken! They sound completely different and most of them 'pop' like a real bad edit. It looks like the waveform in the fade file hasn't been created properly. .......
It's a bug. We're seeing it too. Digi apparently knows about this.

The secret seems to be this:- Delete all the fade files before opening the session on the second computer. Recreate missing fades when the missing files dialog box appears. When they are done, Save and close the session. Then re-open it. Often the fades will rebuild a second time... (don't ask us why) and you'll find that they are good again.

We're seeing this on sessions that move between machines too, especially related to re-linking files in the new location. PT versions 6.4, 6.7 and 6.9. All the fades pop until you do this.

Try it out and see if the workaround above fixes it.

Cheers

Ray