Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 06:41 AM

Default MIDI instrument volumes

In PTLE 5.1.1, is there a way to save MIDI volumes from one session and transfer to other sessions? I've got a drum kit happening that I like and was wondering if I could copy the instrument volumes to other sessions, keeping a consistant drum sound throughout different songs.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: MIDI instrument volumes

Export midi file and then import midi file without discarding the old midi info and you should get new midi tracks.
Now cut and paste midi data as normal.

If you mean velocities then this could get a little harder. Perhaps even impossible without tacking the note with it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 02:52 PM

Unfortunately, velocity was what I really meant. Maybe I'm asking for too much here, but thanks for the reply anyway. It seemed like a good idea at the time!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:29 PM

Go back to the start.
What are you trying to do ?

Midi notes have velocity and note# and position.

If you have a drum groove you like and want to use it in another song, then export the track and as above, import but don't discard the old midi track and be careful of tempo.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:09 PM

That's how I manage things. After a while you get to know how velocity effects you favourite drum sounds in your modulues.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:46 AM

Kev-
I've been to the manual since the last thread and found a few things that should help me out. (Manual? What manual?) It involves finding (writing down the numbers) the velocity settings from a drum track that I'm happy with in a particular session and taking those settings into another session using the "change velocity" window. There I can input the main velocity for each instrument and then make minor adjustments to individual notes afterwards. I'm probably confusing the crap out of anyone who reads this, but I think I've found a way to do what I want. I still have much to learn about making the most out of PT's midi capabilities, so if you've got a trick or two, regarding velocities, clue me in...