Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2021, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Audio Timecode with protools, syncing with video

Here's the top video on Google search - https://youtu.be/EqlZUWZ64Nk

4.30 for start of FRWorkflow

8.00 for the match criteria

5 years old but hopefully relevant to PT2021.x I suspect, knowing Avid MC, that it is only available in the pricier subscriptions of PT.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
. I see that i can also send the timecode directly to the S6L and it does indeed see it but i cant seem to find how to lock PT into that same timecode.
I'm not sure if I've missed something in the replies, but by your original post, your situation is catered for with the equipment you have.

Time-code will give you positional reference, but you need digital sync (word-clock) from the video to allow your sessions to resolve for consistent speed.
The time code sync will work without word-clock sync, but it won't resolve to stay in sync, it will drift over time, as it is governed by the Mac&S6L sample rate and not the video's clock.

Connect your S6l WordClock input to the Video sync system in use.
If there is house sync in use with the cameras, that's where your word-clock (aka digital-sync or speed-sync) comes from.

The timecode feed (assuming it's LTC since you can record it) also plugs into the S6L. (no need to record your timecode)
Clicking the right switches in PT will allow your PT session to record with sample-accurate sync with the Video timecode feed.
As a bonus, your BWF wav files will be automatically stamped with the correct video timecode.

Is that the scenario you're after?
Old 10-01-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve2254e View Post
Yeah. Just was thinking of a video editor with 64 tracks of audio. I think Media composer just added that feature.
Hooray all my mixes are in mono!
Old 10-01-2021, 08:46 PM

I'm not familiar with the S6L. Does the Pro Tools system have a Sync HD? You'd want to send LTC there, set it in the Sync setup, and record online. Then your session will follow along with the master timecode while recording. The BWF's will be correctly timestamped.

From there you could do the manual conform since the clips they edit in should have the same source timecode.

Or you could use EdiLoad as mentioned. Kraken can also do a conform from EDL.

There are other programs that are maybe more reliable during long records... or even something like a Joeco Blackbox.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora View Post
Here's the top video on Google search - https://youtu.be/EqlZUWZ64Nk

4.30 for start of FRWorkflow

8.00 for the match criteria

5 years old but hopefully relevant to PT2021.x I suspect, knowing Avid MC, that it is only available in the pricier subscriptions of PT.
If this works as expected its probably the solution to my problem at least for now...and even like that im not sure the metadata in the files Aare going to be enough...on the other hand im not on ultimate so i cant use it...i should do a trial and make sure its reliable...thanks so much...
Old 10-02-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundworthy View Post
I'm not sure if I've missed something in the replies, but by your original post, your situation is catered for with the equipment you have.

Time-code will give you positional reference, but you need digital sync (word-clock) from the video to allow your sessions to resolve for consistent speed.
The time code sync will work without word-clock sync, but it won't resolve to stay in sync, it will drift over time, as it is governed by the Mac&S6L sample rate and not the video's clock.

Connect your S6l WordClock input to the Video sync system in use.
If there is house sync in use with the cameras, that's where your word-clock (aka digital-sync or speed-sync) comes from.

The timecode feed (assuming it's LTC since you can record it) also plugs into the S6L. (no need to record your timecode)
Clicking the right switches in PT will allow your PT session to record with sample-accurate sync with the Video timecode feed.
As a bonus, your BWF wav files will be automatically stamped with the correct video timecode.

Is that the scenario you're after?
Yes thats exactly what id like to do so i can conform the files automatically on the edit...so youre saying that if i feed WC to the S6L as well as the LTC the console will pass all the metadata to my protools session?
Old 10-03-2021, 03:40 AM

Well the worldcolck and time code just keep your PT session locked & syncd with the cameras. BWF wavs automatically are stamped with the timecode of their location as they record.