Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Default Expansion pack nightmare

So I got an 11 rack for $100 - an older version but couldn't pass it up...Took a week or so to get sold on it, so decided to buy the expansion pack on Feb 17th. I tried to install it, and got "the serial # does not match product ID".

So I come here and see about this problem...solutions left and right, some work, some didn't. It didn't for me....frustration starting to grow...

Called Avid, got a new serial number...still no luck. Called them back to set up a time for a tech to call me and do a remote login.....of course, no one called me back. Of course, avid tech support is outsourced across the world which means it sucks until they escalate it. Frustration mounting....

A week later got a call from US tech support....the guy remoted in, spent 30 minutes, then realized I was using a computer that had Win 8, so that didn't work....now I'm pissed...

he gave me a new serial number, though....told me try it.

So today I tried on my windows 7 computer...reinstalled the driver, expansion pack exe file, and plugged in the 11 rack...started the process....and it finally worked! This is today....about 2 and 1/2 weeks later.

Avid isn't the only software company that operates like this, for sure. I guess I should have expected it, given I purchased a product that is afterthought at this point in time. Granted, it wasn't an urgent thing, but if I really needed it to work right away I would have been screwed.

I may just challenge the credit card transaction, and see if if I can get it refunded. Why not? Should I have paid full price for this "support?"

I certainly won't do business with Avid ever again.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Expansion pack nightmare

Oh yeah, forgot one thing! When I tried to fire it up for the 1st time, no sound! Of course! So I had to do a system reset and then it worked. Thankfully I had no presets I wanted to save...if I did i would have been screwed.

Thanks Avid!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 PM

Sorry to hear that was your experience. Tried to look up your case to review what happened but couldn't find anything based on your community email address. Glad to hear you got everything resolved and are up and running.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 AM

Well, saying sorry doesn't reverse the experience I had. I should be compensated for my time and frustration. Of course, that's never going to happen.

It is our world today - quantity over quality. Just push everything through that small opening, even if won't fit. Just shove it on through!