Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Eleven rack as FX through mixer

I want to use the eleven rack as an FX processor through a mixer. Will it handle mono in/stereo out in this manner?

I would feed the fx send from the mixer into the left line input in the 11R. I would then take the 11R xlr outs back into the FX return of the mixer.

My first though is that I would only get signal on the left side of the FX return, as it appears that the line inputs on the 11R are left and right only.

So, what's the verdict here?

thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Eleven rack as FX through mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf Audio View Post
I want to use the eleven rack as an FX processor through a mixer. Will it handle mono in/stereo out in this manner?

I would feed the fx send from the mixer into the left line input in the 11R. I would then take the 11R xlr outs back into the FX return of the mixer.

My first though is that I would only get signal on the left side of the FX return, as it appears that the line inputs on the 11R are left and right only.

So, what's the verdict here?

thanks
You would set the options>rig input to be "Line L". The Eleven Rack rig input is always mono (although you can use the line in L+R sum).

What signal will you be feeding the Eleven Rack with (e.g. a dry guitar, wet guitar, vocals, keyboard, drums, an aux mix of several signals? ...) and what effects are you wanting to add with the Eleven Rack, and which ones specifically in stereo?

The Eleven Rack's real stereo effect is the "Stereo Reverb" (and with the expansion pack the Dynamic Delay) what stereo'ness you get depends on the location of the Stereo Reverb/Dynamic Delay in the signal chain (e.g. before the amp block the signal path is all mono anyhow). There is also a rig stereo/mono switch that controls whether the Stereo Reverb/Dyn Delay output is mono or stereo (but anything before the amp/cab sim block is always mono).

A good thing to do to get started and just understand the processing, is to pull up the Eleven Rack control panel in Pro Tools. The control panel GUI makes it very clear/obvious what is happening with Mono/Stereo processing as you move effect blocks around and toggle the rig stereo/mono mode.

Whatever you do the Eleven Rack will drive both of its Main L/R out (either in stereo or balanced mono).

Darryl
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM

I'm looking to send a mono aux send from a mixer into the 11R. So I set the rig input to "Line L" - OK, got that part. Now I would like use stereo FX - reverb, delay, modulation, etc, and feed the stereo aux returns in the mixer. I can set the FX (post amp/cab) to be stereo output...got that part. Can all the post amp FX be set to stereo? I would think so...

I basically want to use the 11 rack as an FX processor for mixing music, so I take it this will work...of course I would turn off the amp modeling (or turn all the way down) so just to use the FX only.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM

All the effects added post-amp/cab block will preserve a stereo signal, whether the 'stereo-ness' of each effect is what you expect or not is impossible to say (besides the delay/stereo reverb already mentioned they are AFAIK mostly really mono effects on the two stereo channels). You will need to play and see.

I assume this is all for live work, as much as I like the Eleven Rack, you'll get much more flexibility with recording work via plugins in Pro Tools.

Darryl
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf Audio View Post
I basically want to use the 11 rack as an FX processor for mixing music, so I take it this will work...of course I would turn off the amp modeling (or turn all the way down) so just to use the FX only.
Unless you already have an Eleven Rack sitting around and no other alternatives... Honestly, there are lots of better choices for an FX processor to drive from the AUX sends of your mixer.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM

^^^ Exactly, and we don't have a good idea what the musical content and effects desired on that content is.

If you have an Eleven Rack try it, if the goal is to justify an Eleven Rack becuase you want one for guitar work by all means go for it. If not then tell everybody here clearly what you are trying to do/want to achieve artistically and ask for suggestions on how to best do that.

Darryl
Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 PM

In previous setups I've used an Eleven Rack as a send and return FX processor on an analog mixer and in fact this method works very well for the choice of effects available on thee Eleven Rack. An added plus is Eleven Rack's FX Loop for inserting stomp box chains. The FX Loop being flexible enough to slot in any rig position also. Sadly though Eleven Rack can only be used in series routing as it does not support parallel routing for two independent mono effect signals.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
In previous setups I've used an Eleven Rack as a send and return FX processor on an analog mixer and in fact this method works very well for the choice of effects available on thee Eleven Rack. An added plus is Eleven Rack's FX Loop for inserting stomp box chains. The FX Loop being flexible enough to slot in any rig position also. Sadly though Eleven Rack can only be used in series routing as it does not support parallel routing for two independent mono effect signals.
Good, glad to hear I can use it as an FX processor for an analog mixer.

I don't want the 11R for just this purpose - I also need it for a USB interface to record mixdowns via external conversion. I need both a USB interface and another FX processor. The fact that it has guitar modeling is nice. I've heard them and played through them. Some are very useable, but if it were just guitar simulation and nothing else I would pass on it, to be honest...