Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Copy session (mix, plug-in) data one session to another?

I did a recording session recently where for various reasons I made each tune a separate Pro Tools session.

Now I would like to do the following:

1. Open one of the session files and set up a rough mix, including plug-ins, pans, levels, inserts, sends, etc. (no automation), then
2. Copy those rough mix settings to all the other session files that I made in the same recording session, overwriting the levels, plug-ins, etc., that are already there.

It isn't obvious how to do this with the "Import -> Session Data" feature; I could be missing something, though. So what's the quickest way to do what I want?

I basically want all my session files to become copies of the one where I plan to set up the rough mix, except that each one should have its own original audio.

For the future, what's the best workflow to use in situations like this? For the purposes of this question, imagine that I'm doing a recording session and the studio setup, track layout, instrumentation, etc. doesn't change between tunes, but I want to have each tune be its own session in order to avoid the hassles of using automation for the levels and so forth.

Many thanks!

-- Robert
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Copy session (mix, plug-in) data one session to another?

Sounds like a Template Session might be the way to go.

1. Set-up a blank session i.e. empty tracks with levels/pans/plugs etc and save.
2. Open template and import audio for the song/project. I tend to use full song length consolidated tracks for ease of use.
3. Save 'Copy In' of the session with 'copy all audio files' checked.

You should now have a new session folder complete with all related audio files and you're good to go.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
2. Open template and import audio for the song/project.

Thanks! Can you coach me a little on how to do this import step the most efficient way?

-- Robert
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Unfortunately, the "Import Session Data" function in LE is quite crippled. But a workaround could be:

Save your desired settings in one of your songs, then open another one and import all the tracks using the Import Session Data command. Now you can copy (or drag) the song's audio to the imported tracks.

If you don't want to import all the audio from the original song, just save it once without the audio as a template and import your settings from this one.