Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2022, 10:16 PM

Default Re: NEW -> Pro Tools | Carbon Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
The AVB ports on the new Pre will work when attached to Carbon as an additional 8 i/o over AVB, up to a limit of two Pres chained to one Carbon. They will also work as a stand-alone AVB core audio interface when attached directly to an AVB capable Mac. The ADAT connectors on the Pre will not work as additional i/o for Carbon, they are just a mirror of the AVB signal for use with non-AVB systems like HDX or an off the shelf ADAT interface.
Do you have a Carbon Pre already in use? Because this is much clearer than Avid's website/literature and seems either born from experience or working for Avid.
Either way, if true, they should update their diagrams/KB on the situation to define this. I mean the second link clearly says "that can be achieved utilizing Carbon Pre's ADAT I/O" and then proceeds to have the Carbon with 2 Carbon Pres as the first line.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:20 PM

I'm also going to muse on latency issues due to the variable configurations. Will Pro Tools be aware of any of them (possibly by setting them up as mic pres in Peripherals + I/O setup mic pres? Only place I can think it could be defined inside Pro Tools.) It'd be interesting if the latest (or future) Pro Tools had a defined "Carbon Pre" spec to adjust for this.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Well at the moment I’m struggling with putting just 8 channels in and out of DSP mode, taking 5 or 6 minutes, so 56 channels will take nearly an hour.
It does seem a bit strange not to put some more DSP in the second box. $2000 (assuming some discount) is a lot for 8 mic pres and some extra ADAT ports.

Dominic
That's strange behaviour, I don't have that issue on my system. I track 12 channels of drums often and I can put them in and out of DSP mode in a second or two.

Do you have any plugins on the tracks? I had an issue with BX Console making things really slow when turning on and off DSP mode.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:10 AM

This may be totally off the wall, but here goes:

First I was initially very interested in the Carbon|Pre. If the pre amps are the same as in Carbon, they will sound great. The controllability and recall from within the Pro Tools session is a major plus.

No DSP in PRE is a bummer.

My question though; So, why wouldn't/couldn't a person use the AUX I/O feature with say a Focusrite 8PRE or similar? That's expanding your mic pres by 8, or whatever the interface has. (Honestly have not had time to test this out. Corn picker's fever this time of year you know) Other than the control/recall, if you're OK with the other interface's pre amps, what's the advantage of Corbon|Pre?

I'm still interested in the unit, but....asking for a friend.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 10-20-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN View Post
That's strange behaviour, I don't have that issue on my system. I track 12 channels of drums often and I can put them in and out of DSP mode in a second or two.

Do you have any plugins on the tracks? I had an issue with BX Console making things really slow when turning on and off DSP mode.
Yes, bx_console_N is the culprit but Empirical Labs Arousor is also a problem.
It's a pain because I like tracking everything with bx_console but it's effectively unuseable as it is.

Dominic
Old 10-20-2022, 05:28 AM
Avid

Hey all!

I'm at AES with Carbon Pre & MBox. When I am back at the office I'll go through the thread and answer as many questions as I can.

In an extremely quick summary...

• Same Pres in Carbon
  • No DSP or Monitor section
  • Can daisy chain 2 additional Carbon Pres off of Carbon via AVB
  • Can ALSO be used as a stand alone ADAT Mic Pre with other hardware AND continue to leverage the Mic Pre Control in PT over the ethernet

There are two great vids at the bottom of the Carbon Pre page... give em a look and let me know what else you are interested in...

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-to...bon/carbon-pre

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 10-20-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
This may be totally off the wall, but here goes:

First I was initially very interested in the Carbon|Pre. If the pre amps are the same as in Carbon, they will sound great. The controllability and recall from within the Pro Tools session is a major plus.

No DSP in PRE is a bummer.

My question though; So, why wouldn't/couldn't a person use the AUX I/O feature with say a Focusrite 8PRE or similar? That's expanding your mic pres by 8, or whatever the interface has. (Honestly have not had time to test this out. Corn picker's fever this time of year you know) Other than the control/recall, if you're OK with the other interface's pre amps, what's the advantage of Corbon|Pre?

I'm still interested in the unit, but....asking for a friend.
According to the PT Expert article about it yes, it is the same pre's and converters as in the Carbon .
Thats an interesting question about the new Aux I/O feature in PT 2022.9

I am guessing (and only guessing at this point) besides having the Carbon pre's and converters is that by connecting via ABV Ethernet you can have 24 input channels running above 48k which is the limit for 16 additional channels via ADAT into Carbon Now whether or not someone would need that is a different discussion.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-20-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
...ABV Ethernet you can have 24 input channels running above 48k which is the limit for 16 additional channels via ADAT into Carbon Now whether or not someone would need that is a different discussion.
But does the AUX I/O feature in 22.9 limit a person to the 48k input? Again, I haven't had time to test it out, but my understanding is that if your second interface is connected normally, say via TB to your 'puter, then you are using that interface, along with your Carbon and NOT as an ADAT add on.

So if your session is running at 96K so is the Carbon and so you set your second interface to run the same because you are not inputting into the Carbon, but along with it.

I dunno

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 10-20-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
But does the AUX I/O feature in 22.9 limit a person to the 48k input? Again, I haven't had time to test it out, but my understanding is that if your second interface is connected normally, say via TB to your 'puter, then you are using that interface, along with your Carbon and NOT as an ADAT add on.

So if your session is running at 96K so is the Carbon and so you set your second interface to run the same because you are not inputting into the Carbon, but along with it.

I dunno
I do not know what the Aux I/O can do or not ,, as I am still on 2022.7

And I am unclear as to what you mean
Quote:
if your second interface is connected normally, say via TB to your 'puter, then you are using that interface, along with your Carbon and NOT as an ADAT add on.
I would think that would give you two entirely different and totally separated systems on the same computer and would not actually expand the Carbon system ? But I do know,,, because the only folks I know who have added additional channels to Carbon, are connecting via ADAT

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-20-2022, 07:42 AM

Hey Mark,

Does it actually expand the total I/O in Carbon with Pro Tools to 32+TB by adding Carbon Pre, or does it replace existing I/O with preamps, but not add additional total number of inputs in PT?

In the video it *LOOKS* like it's adding 8 additional inputs for B and another 8 inputs for C in the I/O matrix view, but the documentation makes it seem like it does not, as does some of the verbiage in the video. The documentation specifically states "Maximum I/O expansion Pro Tools | Carbon supports up to two Pro Tools | Carbon Pre interfaces for up to 24 mic/line inputs and 24 line outputs", which is a bit ambiguous.

In PT will it effectively be 8 additional Carbon inputs with normal AAX DSP enabled monitoring capabilities (using Carbon's DSP, of course), or is it expanding more like using the new Aux I/O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey all!

I'm at AES with Carbon Pre & MBox. When I am back at the office I'll go through the thread and answer as many questions as I can.

In an extremely quick summary...

• Same Pres in Carbon
  • No DSP or Monitor section
  • Can daisy chain 2 additional Carbon Pres off of Carbon via AVB
  • Can ALSO be used as a stand alone ADAT Mic Pre with other hardware AND continue to leverage the Mic Pre Control in PT over the ethernet

There are two great vids at the bottom of the Carbon Pre page... give em a look and let me know what else you are interested in...

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-to...bon/carbon-pre

m

Last edited by Matt Hepworth; 10-20-2022 at 11:51 AM.