Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Laptop Audio Interface Question

Hi all,
so I have been working with Eleven Rack as my audio interface at home and I have a project I am recording which I would like to take with me on my laptop. I installed Pro Tools and all the plugins onto my laptop but as expected the laptop does not support the 44.1khz sample rate the project was recorded in with the Eleven Rack.
1. Is there a way to import the project into Pro Tools so that it will playback on a low sample rate? I tried the import from the file menu to import the project but it only imported all the tracks, settings etc, but no audio or other data came across.

2. What would be the cheapest, most portable audio interface I could get that would allow me to open the Eleven rack projects. Most of what I want to work with is the midi tracks and some Easydrummer tracks. So I don't need a really high spec DAC, just something portable and supporting the same formats as the Eleven Rack.

Thanks for any thoughts you may provide.
Patrick
Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Laptop Audio Interface Question

Assuming the laptop has onboard sound, try installing and configuring ASIO4ALL. Its freeware and usually allows you to run PT using the onboard sound card(any of which should support 44.1K or 48K) Now a "real" interface is not a bad idea and I would consider a used Mbox 3(I assume you are running PT 9 or newer). since PT9 came out, you are free to use most any brand of interface, but there is still a certain "ease of use" if you stick with an Avid interface(not all the other brands do so well with their ASIO drivers).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Probably not what you would consider cheap, but the RME Babyface is an excellent portable interface. Small form factor, big jog wheel that can be set to output level if you so desire (and click to dim!) and it performs amazingly - low latency, high stability, very flexible routing, even has DSP with EQ and reverb.

Another option is the MOTU Microbook. I didn't have much luck with it because the analysis tools just didn't want to run on my machine, but it's very portable and inexpensive.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Assuming that you’re using a Windows PC, Do steps 1 – 3 of http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2265499&postcount=1.
Then copy your entire Eleven Rack session file folder(s) to your laptop, and open whichever session you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdx42 View Post
Hi all,
so I have been working with Eleven Rack as my audio interface at home and I have a project I am recording which I would like to take with me on my laptop. I installed Pro Tools and all the plugins onto my laptop but as expected the laptop does not support the 44.1khz sample rate the project was recorded in with the Eleven Rack.
1. Is there a way to import the project into Pro Tools so that it will playback on a low sample rate? I tried the import from the file menu to import the project but it only imported all the tracks, settings etc, but no audio or other data came across.

2. What would be the cheapest, most portable audio interface I could get that would allow me to open the Eleven rack projects. Most of what I want to work with is the midi tracks and some Easydrummer tracks. So I don't need a really high spec DAC, just something portable and supporting the same formats as the Eleven Rack.

Thanks for any thoughts you may provide.
Patrick
Old 06-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Well I picked up a Steinberg UR22 which was on sale at my local guitar center for $119 and it seems to work for what I want it to. My only current thought on the portability side it is a little heave and could use a case to protect the knobs on the front of the unit.
For a little over $100 I thought it was worth a try and it supposedly can record all the way up to 192khz.

Btw, I am on Windows 8.1 and Pro Tools 12

Patrick
Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Steinberg UR22 is a decent device, definitely worth what you paid. Good luck!