Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Virtual instruments not responding to keyboard

Good morning all!

I had Pro Tools 10 10.2.3 for a little over a week now (after using Sonar for the past several years). So far I've had great luck learning the Pro Tools way of doing things, except this;

I'm using an M-Audio Keyrig 49 USB midi keyboard to play the virtual instruments in Pro Tools. My first project, I just plugged-in the keyboard to an USB port, fired-up the computer, opened PT, inserted an Instrument Track (stereo) and like magic it worked as expected. This first project still works as expected.

However, starting a new project (without changing any set-ups) my keyboard will not trigger any sound from any virtual instrument. I can mouse-click on the VI virtual keyboard and the VI works as expected.

I've tried creating several new projects with no-joy. But, my original first project works just fine.

I've referenced the help file to no avail.

Anyone care to offer any solutions? Thanks!

Jay
Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 8 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply. Apollo Quad Interface, Burl B2 ADC, Dangerous D-Box, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Virtual instruments not responding to keyboard

So on ur new track setup a vI like the one u setup on the first session

Up near the top of the instrument track u will see the controller section - u can assign where the midi commands are coming from and which one are going to trigger the sounds on that specific track

Any questions look up the instrument track in the ref manual - especially if u can't see the instrument track controls
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Virtual instruments not responding to keyboard

Thank you YYR123 for your response.

I'm not sure what was going on, but, after trying again all seems to be working as expected now.

In the I/O section of the Instrument Track the only options given are;

Interface, Bus, and plug-ins.

I do have the Keyrig 49 selected under Set-up/midi/input devices.

However, even with the I/O on the Instrument Track set to "no input" all is working fine.

I assume I do not need to select an input in the Track I/O because I'm using a USB midi channel and not a standard midi connection thru my RME Fireface 400 interface. M-Audio Keyrig 49 is a plug & play device so maybe that is why it does not show-up in the track I/O.

Hopefully, it will keep working. Thanks so much!
Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 8 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply. Apollo Quad Interface, Burl B2 ADC, Dangerous D-Box, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, and a bunch of other stuff.