Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Question Current Axe-Fx user Very curious about the Eleven Rack - couple of quick questions

Hi! I'm a long-time member of The Gear Page and have owned tons of great tube amps (Bogner Ecstasy, Shiva, Fargen Blackbird, Rivera, Peavey, Fender, Budda, etc). Currently, I own an Axe-Fx Standard and an RCF FRFR speaker. While I really love it, I'm always open to try different devices. The Axe-Fx is deep and somewhat complicated to master. The Eleven Rack appeals to me because it seems much simpler to plug in, dial up a good sound, and get playing. I'm all for simplicity.

So here are my Eleven Rack questions:

Let's say I'm playing a live gig. I want to send a output to the fx loop of my tube amp/guitar cab for personal stage sound and I also want to send stereo outs direct to the board. Am I able to turn off the cab/mic modeling for my output to stage sound and, at the same time, send a full amp/cab/mic output signal to the board?

I own the Rocktron Midi Mate and use a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal that plugs into the Midi Mate's exp pedal jack. I use the expression pedal primarily for wah control. Is there a way I can set up the Eleven Rack to Auto-Trigger on/off the wah effect by pressing down on my expression pedal? Or must I dedicate a switch on my Midi Mate to turn the wah on, then use the switch again to turn the wah off?

Last questions: How are most 11R users using for stage monitoring at gigs? tube amp/guitar cab? Rack power amp/guitar cab, Powered FRFR speaker? What are you all using?

Thanks very much for any help and answers you can give.

-Robbie
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Current Axe-Fx user Very curious about the Eleven Rack - couple of quick question

Quote:
Let's say I'm playing a live gig. I want to send a output to the fx loop of my tube amp/guitar cab for personal stage sound and I also want to send stereo outs direct to the board. Am I able to turn off the cab/mic modeling for my output to stage sound and, at the same time, send a full amp/cab/mic output signal to the board?
Yes. You can do this. You would use the XLR outs to FOH and the "Outputs to Amp" to your guitar amp's FX loop. You can configure what kind of signal you want going to the amp on a per patch basis.

Quote:
I own the Rocktron Midi Mate and use a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal that plugs into the Midi Mate's exp pedal jack. I use the expression pedal primarily for wah control. Is there a way I can set up the Eleven Rack to Auto-Trigger on/off the wah effect by pressing down on my expression pedal? Or must I dedicate a switch on my Midi Mate to turn the wah on, then use the switch again to turn the wah off?
Not familiar with the Midi Mate, so I can't help you here.

Quote:
Last questions: How are most 11R users using for stage monitoring at gigs? tube amp/guitar cab? Rack power amp/guitar cab, Powered FRFR speaker? What are you all using?
Sort of like with the Axe-FX, there are a lot of people doing different things for different reasons. The only answer I can give is "all of the above".
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Current Axe-Fx user Very curious about the Eleven Rack - couple of quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lution View Post
Hi! I'm a long-time member of The Gear Page and have owned tons of great tube amps (Bogner Ecstasy, Shiva, Fargen Blackbird, Rivera, Peavey, Fender, Budda, etc). Currently, I own an Axe-Fx Standard and an RCF FRFR speaker. While I really love it, I'm always open to try different devices. The Axe-Fx is deep and somewhat complicated to master. The Eleven Rack appeals to me because it seems much simpler to plug in, dial up a good sound, and get playing. I'm all for simplicity.

No. Previous poster is incorrect. You cannot have the output to amp signal with cabinet/mic models off and main outs with cab models on--at least not yet.

Quote:
The 11r doesn't support auto triggering. It would be a great addition, but for now you need to hit a switch and send a MIDI cc to turn the wah on/off.

Quote:

Thanks very much for any help and answers you can give.

-Robbie
I personally prefer the 11R FRFR into an Fractal/Atomic cab and or an EV SXA250 monitor. Others have had luck with other systems. I have not used the 11R in a live situation with a poweramp/guitar cab setup yet to comment on it, but I know some guys have had good results. I like the direct to FOH and Fractal setup for how easy it is and how good it sounds. No mics, no 4x12s--small rack, pedalboard and a FRFR cab or monitor.

FWIW, I have the AxeFx as well and have gone to using the 11R live. It's a no brainer since it's so easily tweakable like an amp and the sound quality (IMO) is on par with the AxeFx.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:

-Robbie
Regarding output routing, read this archive:

http://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-267054.html

No "wah auto-engage" yet, but the community has requested it and the developers are demonstrating they listen to the community.

Brandon
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by muudrock View Post
No. Previous poster is incorrect. You cannot have the output to amp signal with cabinet/mic models off and main outs with cab models on--at least not yet.
That's not entirely accurate. You can set the Amp Outputs to pre-cab and the Main Outs to post-cab. The only limitation with this is that you can't have post amp FX on the pre-cab output.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Either in-ears or a small monitor speaker, I have just got a Wharfdale Titan 12a, they are good for the money in the UK.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
That's not entirely accurate. You can set the Amp Outputs to pre-cab and the Main Outs to post-cab. The only limitation with this is that you can't have post amp FX on the pre-cab output.
Everybody is right

As an engineer I like to track with as "little as possible" effects and reverb when tracking (leaving Fx that's essential for the tune in peace). This to get the best basic sound as we can to tape/disk.
That's why the 11R suit me very well for studio work, getting good sounds fast, besides leaving some options when mixing.
Not to mention the Re-Amp solution in 11R, which is really nice.

A friend of mine, who is more of a live guitarist than me and a guitar "sound freak", has the Axe-Fx Ultra. While this suits him very weel for gigging, he is always very dissapointed when I ask him to turn off "all those effects" when tracking

When it comes down to what you prefer for live use, it may or may not suit you if you need all those deep editing possibilities in the Axe-Fx or the faster right to the point 11R solution.

That said, I really love my two Eleven Racks
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredo View Post
That said, I really love my two Eleven Racks
Dumb question (and lazy):

Can you hook up two Eleven Racks at the same time into ProTools? i.e. can a 2 guitar band track into 11R and into ProTools at the same time?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
You are correct, I should have specified in my reply--Thanks!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Dumb question (and lazy):

Can you hook up two Eleven Racks at the same time into ProTools? i.e. can a 2 guitar band track into 11R and into ProTools at the same time?
That's an interesting question. You can technically hook one up as the interface, and run the other through SPDIF. That would be the easy way.

In PT9, you theoretically could create an "aggregate" device comprised of the two Eleven Racks, and configure the IO accordingly.

The real problem in both situations is how the comp, and thusly PT, sees each Eleven Rack when both are hooked up through USB. Also, what would happen when PT tried to run the Eleven Rack window? Would it get confused? Change both Eleven Racks simultaneously? Would PT latch on to one? Or just collapse altogether? If I had two Eleven Racks I would try.

Anyway, to answer your question, as far as I know, the only way to successfully hook up just two Eleven Racks, is to have one be the interface, and one as a standalone processor. Of course, only the interface one will be hooked up through USB. And the standalone one will be synced to the interface one's clock through SPDIF. Also by connecting an output to amp on the standalone one, to a Line In on the interface one, you should be able to get the dry track as well.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack