Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Upgrading to the current version - Questions

OK,.. I'm still running LE 5.3.2 with XP Pro-Svc Pack_01.

I believe I want to upgrade soon.

Now,.. how do I go about doing this upgrade as easily as possible?

I don't want to lose my plug-in's or my plug-in settings, and I don't want to have to re-install them.
Also,.. will I be getting any more/new plug-in's with the upgrade?

I'm a bit confused and I don't know where to start. Digi makes this upgrade proces very annoying and frequent,.. so it's hard to stay current with the updates/upgrades and still actually produce and make music. If you happen to miss one of the upgrades then you end up having to pay for a big jump,.. or,... I realise if I had waited 3 months then I could have gotten a huge amount of free plug-in's. I'm expecting I may have to pay,.. but I want to find out what's involved in the transition/upgrade and exactly what I'm getting out of it first.

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanx in advance!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to the current version - Questions

Why do you want to upgrade?

If it is working fine maybe you should just enjoy it and focus on recording intead of messing with a computer.

I'm messing with my computer since I went from 6.1.1 to 6.4.... 6045 errors.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:15 AM

Well,... from the things I have heard about the improved midi support and also some of the new audio functions like the "Beat Detective" and Timestretching,.. it would be a great improvement.

So I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade and just get it out of the way. After this upgrade,.. the only thing I could wish for is maybe a MIDI Arpreggiator and more than 32 tracks (which I doubt that will happen).

I'm in the middle of doing a decent sized overhaul of my studio and I'd like to include this in the process. I just got a new (secondary) hard drive, some more ram,.. Getting a second monitor to have a dual headed workstation. I'm installing soundproofing/treatments,.. putting a new workstation desk in there as well as some synth and other hardware additions I've recently done. I'm refining my studio into more of a professional/custom environment instead of it being a room that all my gear is in. I want it to be a refined and well oiled machine. I just want to get this upgrade over with as easily as possible and include it in the overhaul.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM

The absolute best and safest way for you to upgrade is to remove your system drive and pop in a new drive and do a fresh load of XP, do all the system tweaks then restart. Now load in PT6.7>restart and test. When that works fine, load all your extra plugins. I like to restart and test after each disk/bundle. I know it seems like extra work, but it has worked very well for me. And if all hell breaks loose and you need to work, just re-install your old drive and you are right back where you left off.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave